Cut bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by LafayetteRiverRunner, Jun 27, 2007.

1. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was just wondering if drum worked as a cut bait?? If so how big do you chunk it ?? cut off the head and tail then how big do you go?? I fish down in the grandville black rock area

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've tried cut drum on several occasions, and never caught anything on it. I did try drum guts once, and caught 2 or 3 nice fish when they weren't hitting anything else.

3. wpg_catfisher

wpg_catfisher New Member

State:
    manitoba
    i've used drum as cat bait quite a few times and had great success with it i've used 1x1 chunks and ive used 3x4 slabs and both have cought me cats around 35" so i'd say giver a shot plus its so tough in never comes off the hook

4. LafayetteRiverRunner

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks all I will down near black rock this weekend and was wondering if it was worth a try . I tried some big head carp that jumped into the boat but had no luck

5. LafayetteRiverRunner

State:
    Indiana
    Has anyone had any luck using drum for cut bait?? I have tried but not much luck.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Not much. I prefer cut shad, bluegill, or even carp. I've talked to some guys who have had some luck on using live drum for flatheads.

7. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My personal best 40# flathead was caught just upstream from Granville Bridge on a drum head. As with anything I think it just depends on what the fish have a hankerin' for that night.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have used strips of cut drum on a jighead in tailwater and caught cats and stripers. the strips were an inch wide and four inches long.
    on getting bait pieces out of bigger fish- i always cut down the lateral line, the square off chunks from the back. this way i avoid the ribs.

9. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    My son and I caught a 47#, a 40#, and a few in the high Teens on Drum cut from the back straight down to the belly. Use a 7/0 or 8/0 circle hook and thread the hook threw a time or two to keep the little ones from yanking it off. Throw your drift sock out and waight for the pole to BEND!! LOL We had a lot of hits that day we used it, but We were after BIG fish, and that is why the bait was soo big. That was on Ceder Creek Lake in Central Texas, and we will be trying it as soon as the lake here in Waco opens back up from the flooding!

Hopw this helps!
    Andy:wink: