cut bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by odie0721, Oct 18, 2006.

1. odie0721

odie0721 New Member

State:
    TN
    Hi. New to BOC and am learning a lot here. Just bought a boat that needs a little work, but hopefully it'll be ready to go by early spring. I have a question about cut bait. I've been using chicken livers while fishing from the bank, but I'm interested in finding and using skip jack for bait. Where do you catch them and what techniques do you use? I'm in the Nashville area.

Thanks in advance for the info.

odie0721:big_smile:

2. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Dwayne welcome to the B.O.C.I'm sure someone from your area will chime in with some tips.Good luck.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where in nashville area do you live?

4. odie0721

odie0721 New Member

State:
    TN
    goodlettsville

odie0721

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    A Big welcome to the BOC Dwayne were glad to have you aboard! Skip jack are Excellent bait for all the three main species of Catfish, Flathead, blue, and channel catfish. You can use them Live or as cut bait. most of the folks either use a castnet and some catch the skip jack on rod and reel. also shad, bluegill,goldfish, work very well. the main thing that helps is to catch your bait in the same water that you happen to be fishing because the catfish are familiar with them the exception would be the goldfish. There is a wealth of information here at the BOC so jump right in and We will help, OK Your new Friend J.D.
    :0a26:

6. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    First off Welcome to the BOC now to the ???:big_smile:

Well this brother Hit the nail on the head Excellent Info Good lookin out for the newer members My hats off to you J.D.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the board.............have fun

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    you should be able to score some type of baitfish below Old Hickory Dam. Not sure about skipjack, as i typically only fish below the dam during the colder months when no one else is around much.

It is easier for me to go to Cumberland City to get skipjack, but they are hard to get during the warmer months (at least for me). In the colder months, they are pretty thick at times.

Back to Old Hickory...I did see schools of decent sized gizzard shad runnin the shoreline early in the year (feb/march) when they had 2-3 generators runnin. I'm sure the skips and threadfins run in there as well.

good luck and welcome aboard!

cyas
    rc