cut bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Jollymon, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Herbert welcome to the B.O.C. ,hope some of the locals can give you the info you are asking for ,i have caught my largest flat off cut bait didn't get a weight but he was 46 ins long

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i've seen a 31 caught on cut thats about it.

3. Top_Of_The_South

Top_Of_The_South New Member

State:
    Brandenburg, Kentucky
    Live bait is really the best way to go it will most likely produce bigger fish. But sometimes live bait can be hard to come by. I believe cutbait is associated with smaller fish because it is a smaller bait. To get around this i simply hook a whole shad/skipjack/sucker or whatever it is in the eyes or the head and butterfly the body. That is where I fillet each side of the bait about half way down the body starting at the head going towards the tail section. This puts a lot of scent in the water and the fillets flowin in the current makes the bait appear as if it were alive. Another good thing about this method is it makes your bait appear larger.

4. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    the biggest flatty i have caught on cut bait was about 5 pounds,but i wasnt fishing for them i was after channels and blues.i have read on here that best bait seems to be about a tie cut vs live. i usually use live bait myself

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    When I am fishing for flats I typically run live bait, but I believe the 31lber that Marcus was referencing was the one I got on cut shad a couple years back.

6. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Define cut bait ...

The one in my picture was caught with shad, it started out whole 6"er but he grabbed it and bit it in two leaving the head and a bit more, mostly gut pocket, I threaded it back on threw it right back in front of the wing dam and hooked him in about 3 minutes ....That's a 39lb 4oz flattie

Still I usually use live sunfish for flatties as I was that night until I ran out and tried that large shad whole hooking it so it would look as much like a live fish in the current as I could get it .... Generally as a rule though the flatties I get on cutbait are in the 3-6 pound range

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think live bait works well for flatheads...All of my big flatheads over 40-lbs come on small shad heads...I catch small flatheads on ocassion when I do try live bait.

But for me dead bait works best.

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    this year I've caught 2 flats on cut bait, one was 39lbs 7 oz and I was fishing for channels, and the other was like 2 pounds and again I was fishing for channels. they seem to prefer them better to live bait in the fall but before the fall you can't really beat a live sunfish or big creek chub.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    yeah i guess you needed to define what kind of cut. shad is only allowed to be fished dead here in iowa and it will catch all sizes. i've never seen a huge flatty caught on cut gill.

10. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I caught a few flatties on cut sunfish earlier this year when the shad were scarce but all were in the 6-10 pound range. Nice thing about cut sunnies is it's pretty firm meat and hard to strip and it doesn't rot to mush like old shad and the freeze well

I've been seriously thinking of getting a bunch of shad and making some shad oil, catch a bunch of sunnies and fillet them and put them into the shad oil for a few days and then freeze them for next spring. My theory is you'd have the attractant qualities of the shad mixed with the freezability and firmness of the sunfish

I have fillets from a couple of dozen bluegills which I collected by throwing the gill or gut hooked ones that died into my cooler, I'm just waiting to catch the shad schooled up tight where I can fill a 5 gallon bucket half full in just a few throws