cut bait

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by old newbie, May 15, 2009.

1. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Sorry to sound so ignorant but as a kid, other than 1 cat I caught on a johnson silver spoon, I never used anything but crawlers and stinkbaits.
    I read about gills and shad being used on here could I ask how. Alive rigged to swim, or cut up on bottom. If used cut up can you catch cut and freeze and use when your ready or must they be cut up and put on the hook.
    Which brings up another ? what are circle hooks and do you guys use them. I plan on fishing more for the table so what size hooks would be best for good eating size cats?

2. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    when the fish starts to swim off with the bait, the line moves out its mouth, and the circle hook is designed to get hooked on their lip or somewhere while they are trying to swim away. and as for cut bait, i've always caught it then either stuck the whole thing on the hook, or just use it fresh in bits.

Hope i helped even a little.

And by the way, Welcome to the BOC!

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Shad and gills can be frozen for later use. Don't cut them up until you are ready to use them though. Fresh are probably a little better but frozen work well too. Look at my Katfishing pics album at the pics of the shad that I caught today. I packed them 8 per bag. You may want to pack them 4 or 6 depending on how long you plan on your trips being and how many people are fishing with you. Hope this Helps.

4. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Ken maybe you can answer another ? for me? Is there really a sign outside Paintsville that says how many miles it is to Wabash In?
    Every time there is a death in town the obit says they came from Paintsville, Prestonburg, or Van Lear.:big_smile:

5. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use whole and cut bait for catfishing. I will use shad, gills, creek chubs or suckers if I can catch one. I never throw out just one bait. Try different ones like one pole on shad and the other a gill. If you are using cut bait try different pieces of the bait. Dont just use the mid section, sometimes the head will work better. Mix up your bait selection so you can figure out what they want the best. I freeze a lot of my bait although fresh is better. I now have vacuum pack system and having been using it with great success. The circle hooks are great for catfishing, I use the gamakatsu in a 8/0 and recently the team catfish double action in the 8/0. The circle hooks are great and I dont miss many fish but they take time to get use to them when trying to set the hook. Hope this has helped you.

6. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    catfishcatcher it sure has. thats what i need brand names and sizes. Dony assume I know anything, paint me a picture.:embarassed: