CUT BAIT! WHICK IS BEST?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catfish-Demon, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Catfish-Demon

Catfish-Demon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Which cut bait do you like and tell me why? also how do you hook it so it hooks the fish better?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Cut skipjack...It just works the best..It is oily and bloody..I usually steak mine but sometimes I'll fillet it and leave the skin on..I hook it through the flesh and out through the skin..The head(hooked through the top of the mouth and up through the snout)works the best for the big fellers and the guts work good for small channel cats..

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL.

My vote for the best is skipjack. I cut mine into chunks and run the hook through with plenty of hook showing. They are the best because of the oil and blood. When you cut off the tail, the blood pours out. Good luck.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like bluegill cause every body of water has those but not always skipjack and shad and things like that,so you know they will feed on those.If i use the head ill either hook it threw the eyes or threw both lips.If its been out in the water awhile ill reel it in and stuff its mouth with dough or dip bait just to get them interested again.The rest i cut in chunks and use a kahle hook .

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I personally like gizzard shad. That seems to work the best in most situations.
    I will use a lot of buffalo and carp for cutbait. I will fillet them out and cut the meat into strips 1/2"x2"
    I like to use bluegill too. They are my go to bait in the summer. I will cut a 4" gill into 4 pieces, head, gut, gut, and tail i toss the tail since it doesnt seem to do as well as rest of fish.
    one thing on hooking the bait, make sure that hook point is exposed and that there is plenty of "gap" in your hook/

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Eels baby. LOL! Like hookin any bait. Hook point exposure is critical. :wink:

7. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I like gizzard shad, skipjack, and gills in that order. The fresher the better and I like the heads the best. We don't have skipjack down here and they work as good as gizzard shad most of the time. Just depends on the time of year on how big of a bait I use, sometimes big is best but have had times when I have caught BIG fish on small one inch pieces, they wouldnt hit the big pieces. Vary your presentation and figure out what the fish want would be my best advice. And like it was said before, leave enough gap in your hook and always have the point protruding.

8. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    Shad or creek chubs and gills some times. Usually cut into staeaks and hook through the corner with hook exposed, make sure no scales on the hook point.

I would use what ever is available in the body water you are fishing.

Welcome aboard.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. I like the skipjack. Especially the heads.

10. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I fish mainly for channel cats. The fish from the area you will be fishing will all make fine cut bait. I don't like to use fish that are not found where you fish. If I have a choice I'll take oily bait like carp or sucker minnows over fish with white meat like blue gill. But the most important thing is to use fresh bait if possible. If not frozen is ok; there is a great article in the library on freezing cut bait. I haven't found channel cats to be very picky; I do not think they would ever turn down an easy meal of cut bait, if it will fit in their mouth!

11. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I personally like gizzard shad.