cut bait substitute?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by sbirnel, Feb 10, 2008.

1. sbirnel

sbirnel Member

State:
    TX
    I was looking for something to use instead of punch bait and cut bait for cats, because I cant always get good cut shad or cut bait, and punch bait works great but STINKS! anyways, I tried a strip of chamois, soaked in menhaden oil. so far it seems the cats like it. I am wondering if a big strip soaked in the oil then drifted might work for big blues? I dont have access to a lake where I can try it myself right now, maybe someone else would give it a try for me and let me know if it works? the chamois really soaks up the oil and puts out a lot of scent in the water as evidenced by the oil slick it produces. it really looks like something big cat would taste!

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like a pretty good idea scott but i pretty much just fish rivers. I would like to know how it does if you get a chance to try it.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    NEVER TRIED IT , BUT ALWAYS COULD GET BAIT

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For large Bluecats ....there is no substitute for fresh cutbait.:eek:oooh:

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i have done it with a sponge and it worked. just take a damp sponge put it into the oil and press it with a stick it'll absorb some oil and last about 20 min in the river maybe 30 min in a lake never tried there so i'm guessing.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    never caught a bluecat yet, but from what i've read and seen on catfishing videos, fresh cutbait out fishes them all!!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Haven't done this yet and I hope it works. www.fswlures.com contains some
    non stink bait ideas which just might work. I haven't tried them yet but I
    most likely will since I think that a catfish can smell well enough to know
    that this is made from something digestible and they aren't really picky when
    they're eater sized and hungry.

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    www.fslures.com is the right link to these guys site I think. Time will tell.