Cut bait size

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Creaz93, May 31, 2008.

1. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was wondering what a good size of cutbait is. Every time i've used it I haven't had any luck so Im pretty sure Im doing something wrong. Im using 3/o hooks by the way. Thanks.:cool2:

2. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    What Chris said!! I've been wondering the same thing.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Alot depends on where your fishing and what size cats you are trying to catch. Fishing for eatin size channels and blues I use just a small strip of cut shad or a whole small shad. If fishing for the really big boys then a big hook in a big piece of bait is the way to go....

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I fish for channels everytime I go along with acouple out for the big boys,,

But as for cut bait for yrs I'ved use 100% of the time fishing for channels useing #2-3 octopus Gamakatzu, 3/8" x 1/2" x 1" long strips of salmon or bluegill prepard ahead of time, or just strip -em there at the bank or boat,its all you'll need..IMHO

Good Luck:wink:

5. wpg_catfisher

wpg_catfisher New Member

State:
    manitoba
    with those hooks id say use about a 2x2 chunk maybe a little smaller i normally use a 2x3 or 2x4 chunk on a 8/0 circle hook but you can never have a bait too big and yesterday proved that for me i wanted to catch a BIG channel cat so i made a double 8/0 hook rig and put a whole live 10" goldeye on it i lost one fish that fought way harder than any cat ive cought before and i landed a 33" channel not what i consider a big cat but good sizen none the least so go out and play with bait sizes u'll be suprised what you catch

6. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd say Im targeting good size fish 5-10lbs. maybe (not to say I wouldn't want to catch a monster:wink:). I don't care a whole lot about size. I'm using bluegill right now when i catch them and stuff I use the head and the mid-section.I'm wondering if i should filet them or use chunks... I know its preference... I think I'll try filets next time:cool2:. Thanks guys for any help.

7. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I had to use smaller bait to get anything in the boat this year so far. I tried the circle hooks and lost or missed several good ones. So I went and got some 2/0 Kahle hooks and downsized, and now its good for me, got the freezer full. Bu theyare biting good now where I fish.
    That probably doesn't help too much for ya. All I am saying is they sometimes like smaller baits.

8. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    I have seen small and big baits work for small and big cats. For me I always mix it up. I've seen a 57lb blue caught on a piece of mullet the size of a quarter and I've seen a 78lb blue caught on a eel. It seems from view that it all depends on the time of year and the agressivness of the cats that day

9. crowriveramateur

crowriveramateur New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    i have found that if you use a chunk of bait about 3 times the size of the hook your using and leave as much of the hook exposed as you can i get the best hook ups. I have been using gama octopus cicles 2/0 - 4/0