Cut bait question?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Memphis_Catfish_King, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    when fishing heavy river current like i am on the Mississippi river..prob sounds like a stupid question but how long is a piece of cut bat good for..how often should u replace Ur bait ..got to be a time frame seems the chunk of fish loses its smell in the heavy current..n does everyone use cut bait ,or live.we have bin catching skip jack around 6 inches to 12 inches long maybe some smaller..

2. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I like to use live bait if I can but when it comes to cut bait I usually change it every 1/2 hour or so. But that's just me.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would say 20-thirty minutes also for cut bait. have you ever tried live bait?

4. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi Jay i use cut bait for cat,s and other fish to i chang my cut bait when it looks real light in color like it has ran out of blood,,and dont smell very strong any more ,time frame abought 1/2hr--2hr no longer,,throw old bait in water like chum,,,and some times use large minnows,from bait shop hope this might helps TIMBO:roll_eyes:

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I leave mine on for 30 min. to 45 min. and usually set a pole up with cut bait and a pole or 2 with live bait, but most of my fishing is done on the rivers that drain into lakes.

6. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I keep my baits alive in bait tanks untill time to use them. I drift about 90% of the time,and change the bait when it gets light in color or gets mud stained, about 30min's to 1 hour. We use 6 rods, one straight out the front and rear of the boat ( 24 ft. pontoon)and four in the middle in a 25 deg. rod holder,with about 1/2 spool line out on a 6500-abu, and Gamakatsu-Octopus-Circle hooks, sit back with a mug of coffee and wait on the fun to start.....

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'll leave mine on for 20 or 30 minutes. I've caught fish after having it on their for that long, but I have had much better luck with bait that was cut more recently than that. Patience usually will pay off though.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I try to change mine every 20 minutes.

9. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    i change my cut bait when it looses all of its color and its texture is real soft and weak. it is still effective but channels love fresh cut bait, nothing beats it in my opinion.

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i change bait everytime i real my poles in whether it 10 min or 1 hour

11. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Actually...i Think That If A Fish Swims By It...he'll Grab It Reguardless... Hope This Helps

12. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    hey thank you all for all the info,since i caught that 32 pound Flatt head I'm hooked (is there a flat head rehab)...lol
    o n Jason wouldn't let me pm u back haven't posted 10 times yet ..but yea were still catching skip jack down here on small chartreuse n white jigs not a whole lot but enough to fish with them. we just rig Lil ultra light with 2 or 3 jigs on the line n fish for them while waiting on big poles get a bite ,it pass the time anyway. we haven't yet just gone to a certain spot just for skip jacks..but i will be hitting the local park ponds to get some live bream..lol

13. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If Im catching fish, everytime I catch one. If not catching fish everytime I move 20-30 minutes. I hate stale bait.

14. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If your flathead fishing you should try live bait. But I switch a piece of cut baitfish either every 20min. or until I move. The heavy current will wash the scent out of the bait quicker.

15. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd go with livebait personally, but its not unheard of to use cut bait, change it every half hour or so

16. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    When it comes to cut bait, personal judgement is going to get you by... you want to make sure you always have bait on the hooks #1. #2 you can usually tell when your bait needs changed, it looses color and smell...

A lot of the time frame depends on the quality of bait. The longer it bastes in quality mixes of blood, garlic and souring milk or whatever you use, the longer it will hold its quality.

I use primarily live bait, but when using cut I try to switch out every half hour or so... and my bait usually sits for a day

Good luck buddy

17. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    when me catfishn72/troy and wolfman/walter flack go out we take are bluegill and cut the back tail off just enough to make him bleed and not killing him.works great they seem to hit it alot faster