Cut Bait Poll

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by catfishjohn54, Jul 12, 2009.

1. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I use cut bait and shrimp, with a shot of anise oil. works for me. However, a lot of you Nebraska catfishermen have used cut bait much longer then I have, so, I need some advice from all you experts out there:

(1)what kind of cut bait works best for you, i.e., bluegill, carp, what?

(2) fresh caught or stinky cut bait??

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    for me it's been cut sunfish and bullhead....I usually keep em alive untill I need em....

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Fresh shad and skipjack.

4. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I've used dead chubs live chubs live bluegills cut bluegills shad heads shad chunks turkey livers so far this year nothing seems to be working very well.:angry:

5. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like to use large chubs cut in half. That gives me two large chunks to throw out.

6. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    goldeye,skipjack,carp what ever you can get!!!!! i heard a guy a few weeks ago using cut gar...

7. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I can't believe that this question got brought up again. I thinked it's been polled in every state now. Same question, same answer. For every two people that like dead cut bait, there is one or maybe two that like live bait.
    For me it don't matter, live, cut, stinky. Bait is Bait. If it's live going on chances are it's going to die on your hook. Of forgive me, unless you're perfect and hook it right. (BS) The current, the different water you got it from, whatever they always seem to die on the hook.
    If it's live keep changing it to keep it alive, if it's dead, you'll have a better chance.
    What I don't understand is people around Ne say flatheads are the only ones that like live bait. But people who fish the OH, the James (in virginia), and down in Texas they all say blues like live. What are we really that backwoods up here we don't even know what the fish like.
    I say channies and flats like dead, and blues like em live.

8. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska

Everytime you are on here it seems to me all you do is bi***. We are here to help people when they ask about something not complain about what they ask....... I think it depends on the conditions on what you catch on alive or dead bait. I've only caught flats on alive bait and i've caught channels on dead bait and alive. I say you can catch any kind of catfish on any kind of bait almost if the conditions is right

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr

ok guys let's cool down a little. Perhaps the purpose of the poll is to see what has been working lately, not just what works all the time. I've put on small bluegills and seen them stay alive for quite a while. I've also read and noticed that the jaw sturcture of a flathead is better suited for feeding above the bottom where the jaw of a channel is made to feed on whatever is laying right on the bottom. The biggest fish I've ever caught was a 28 pound flathead that ate a dead chub but the wind was blowing against the bank creating allot of waves and my line was only about 15 feet out in a shallow area. Perhaps having the water rolling kept it up off the bottom. When I was out fishing friday night all I had for bait was liver which didn't get a single bite and bluegill. I had 3 good bites 1 on a head 1 on a bluegill that I slashed and gut open the gut and 1 that was put on live but died. The slashed 1 had 2 bites and the head had 1.

10. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We don't get a lot of skipjack in Nebraska, but I'll bet it's a good bait! When I was catfishing in California. I used whole herring. It drove the catfish crazy. Thanks for the info.

11. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The reason I raised this question is to stimulate the sharing of information (thank you Catmanjeff!), and to learn from one anothr. I, for one, don't have all of the catfishing secrets. But part of the joy of fishing is the success one achieves when we finally outsmart those critters, or we happen to be dead lucky and catch 'em during a feeding frenzy, or land our bait on their heads! lol. The joy of fishing is the pursuit and the victory of a good catch. The benefit of this website is for we catfishermen/women to help one another in our mutual enjoyment of Mr. Whiskers, and the fellowship. I have learned a lot in the short time I have been on this site. Some of you may feel frustrated that newbies like me post such seemingly obvious questions, such as cut bait, but I have found varying results using baits for catfish, and quite frankly I get a bit confused at times. But, the more you know, the more you catch. Thanks to all for helping out this catfish novice.

12. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i have seen alot of flathead caught on cut bait.. carp, drum,goldeye and skipjack... i have personaly caught carp using carp guts kinda strange.. i know what the fish up here like me and chris didn't spend 3 days of catching chubs for no reason last week... but personaly i think the big blues prefer a piece of cut bait over a chub or something.. i know one of the biggest blues i ever hooked into was on a bluegill.. them fish won't turn down an easy meal.. i know a guy that caught a 50 pound blue on a nightcrawler.. not saying the blues don't like live bait chris caught a baby blue about 8 pounds saturday on a small chub.. but what do we know

13. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i would just use whatevere you can get and works for you some things are better but i like cut bait for blues and live for flatheads

14. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I have caught all 3 types of Cats on live, dead, and even lures. I think it all depends on the time of year and mood of the fish. But, I'm gonna go ahead and have to vote with fresh cut or dead anything for Channels, fresh cut bluegill, shad, skipjack (if you can get em) for Blues, and live bluegills, chubs, bullheads, or small carp for Flatheads. Although the last 5 or so Flatties I have caught have been 1 on a crankbait, 1 on a mister twister, and the rest on nightcrawlers...so what do I know?:smile2:

15. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    We went to Enders Sat night and threw nightcrawlers, live bluegills, dead halves of bluegills, liver, and wicked sticky at them and we caught one 6 pounder on liver. Maybe the reason we didn't catch anything was because it was more fun to yell stupid shit at the damn and listen to it echo back at us. Yeah just a little on the wild side to be fishing. We were just having fun, maybe next time we'll be quiet. Hope everyone around had as much fun as we did.
    And I wasn't b**tching about the question I just mentioned that Ne folks finally got it up on a poll. It's all good tho Derek, hope the minnow is working good for you.

16. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    blues and channels i use dead bait be it liver cut bait , froze chubs which are doin the trick well right now or whatever.. and for flatheads i use live bait goldfish chubs sunfish bluegill sallys frogs.. dont get me wrong tho ive caught flatheads on liver and ive caught channels on live bait i.e. goldfish.. then agin ive also caught bass on liver and goldfish so.. all in all if the fish are hungry and it looks good thier gonna eat it no matter what it is, just cuz ya fish for a certain species with a certain bait dont mean ya aint gonna get somethin else..(dang turtles anyway)..

17. catchall

catchall New Member

State:
    NEBRASKA
    NOT MUCH HAS BEEN WORKING LATELY. BEEN DOING FAIR WITH SHRIMP BUT, HERE WHERE I AM I HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLES. CAN'T SEEM TO HOOK WHATEVER HA BEEN STEALING MY SHRIMP. THEY MUST BE SOME REAL EDUCATED CATS CAUSE, THEY CAN HIT IT AND NOT EVEN TWITCH THE LINE OR POLE. WOULD LIKE SOME HELP WITH THIS. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW. YOU MAY EVEN EMAIL ME STRAIGHT AS WELL. MY EMAIL IS ALONEINNEB AT MSN DOT COM. ONE OTHER QUESTION I HAVE FOR ANYONE WHO CAN TELL ME. HOW DO YA KEEP DOUGHBALLS FROM DRYING OUT? I HAVE ALSO BEEN THINKING ABOUT USE SOME JACK INSTEAD OF WATER...LOL. MAYBE I CAN GET'EM DRUNK ENOUGH TO KEEP'EM HANGING ON THE HOOK....LOL.:haha:

18. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The best cutbait I've used is Alewifes in the past! Bar none!! Shad has been a great producer for me too. The Alewife population has been limited, due to the low water levels in Elwood Res. This year I have been using blood religiously on the Channel Cats and had great success this year. Blood bait cut in to cube around 6-10" long and about 2" thick, threaded onto a leader and a 2/0 treble hook. Using a small weight or no weight at all, I slowly drift. the trick is to let out enough line to have the bait tick the bottom. This can be around 80-100yds. of line, depending on wind speed. Bloodbait has been the best bait I've used on the Channel Cats. Catching cats in the 2-15# range this year and some bigger ones caught by my friend. A 25# and 18# Channel Cat.

19. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    :eek:oooh:

They are plentiful in the MO River, In the boyer chute refuge we used to throw a bobber into the channel and let if float down and we'd catch the Skippies 9 times outta 10.

20. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    We;; I prefer different baits in different situations.but I've probably used just about anything I can think of to use for bait over the years, some of the best producers for me have been creek chubs,live or cut-green sunfish,live or cut- and big mean crawdads,live and kicking-bullheads alive-baby carp about 4 to10 inches long,alive-and leopard frogs, dead or alive-this is for summer and I prefer nice fresh bait.Early spring I like stinky sour shad and shad gizzards or other fish that is sour and stinky.And all the summer baits plus blood type baits in the fall till the water drops below 50 degrees then the stinky stuff starts working better for me again.

As far as fish a channel cat will hit about anything,I don't have alot of experience with blues other than incidentals,and for flatheads I prefer live bait,but in moving water I can get away with fresh cut to. This is just how I do and what I've personally had the best luck with,not a set in stone rule.I also catch some nice flatheads at night in shallow water on chugbug big bugs surface poppers when conditions are right.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009