Cut bait on the grand

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by catfishing is fun, May 30, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    When we fish on the grand (from the bank) we use night crawlers, and chicken livers, we catch about a million little sunfish, and some that are eatin size, and alot of turtles, but not many cats on the crawlers or the livers, if I sliced up the little sunfish, would it help my catch ratio, and also which style of cut bait is the most popular in the grand ie-Sides, Strips Fillets,Chucks,Heads,Tails ect..

Thanks for the help
    Marshall

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Marshall-
    on one rod, hook one of them bluegills through his back behind the dorsal fin & toss him near a log with an ounce or two of lead to keep him out of the snag. For the other rod, cut the bluegill (or sucker, or shiner, or chub) in half from top to bottom and toss half of it out to a place where there's a break in the current.
    With one live bait and one cut, your're sure to catch something right now.
    I know livers are popular in some states, but I've never known of anybody catching much on 'em in Michigan.
    Good luck,
    Tony

3. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    This is good to know, cause I actualy live in Missouri, and they work really good here thanks for the advise

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Notice I didn't say "livers don't work here", only that I don't know anyone who does well with them.
    The way I see it, only channel cats, dogfish, & turtles will eat livers- while cut fish and live fish are more likely to get you flats, channels, or northern pike. Don't overlook live shiners & suckers, they can catch you some good cats too.