Cut bait methods

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by wiskeredwarrior101, Apr 12, 2007.

1. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Im sure this has been covered but i couldnt find it anywho. I was wondering how you hook your cut bait i cant seem to get a good hookset. the tip always ends up being below the meat so it just sets into the bait again if that makes sense?

2. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I always use some mono, run through bait and wrap around hook several times until it's on good and tight

3. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I will only hook a small corner of the bait. You need to keep the gap of the hook open. If the gap is full of bait the hook won't set all the way into the fish. If using cut shad starting with the head I hook either through the eyes or through the bottom lip and out just in front of the eyes. Other pieces I just hook the corner and make sure I get some skin to help hold it on the hook. If I'm using cut carp strips or chunk I don't hook all the way through the big portion of the bait. I just catch a corner of the skin.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You're probably not using a big enough hook. 3 lb catfish can be (and are) caught routinely on an 8/0 hook. You need to leave plenty of hook exposed, especially in the gap between the shank and point.

Shad heads can be hooked through the eyes or through the lips; body chunks can be hooked at one end or the other, near the spine.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    GO with mr t big hooks, I just bought some 15/0 hooks to replenish my supply, I am usually fishing with half a skip jack so I need a hook that can clear the bait. If you cover the hook up you aren't gonna catch crap.

6. wiskeredwarrior101

State:
    virginia
    ok i was just hooking it wrong this was my first time using cut bait (liver man here) ill get some bigger hooks do you use j hooks or circle?

7. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    I prefer the head most of the time but how do you cut your shad? The shad I catch are in the 4 to 7 inch range. Cutting steaks out of them leaves meat but the guts never stay in. Have tried cutting the nbelly out, kinda in a triangle starting at about mid gill and cutting towards the anus. Kinda a gut taco. Same results the guts always come out even using both sides of the belly and pinning them in. Thought about panty hose. Any other ideas?

Dru

8. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    same as the outher guys but i use 10/0 king kahles

9. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Dru,
    I learned what little I know from a catfish guide at Truman lake. The first thing he would do is cut the gut pocket out and throw it over the side of the boat. He just used the head and sides. Gut pockets seem to attract small fish. ( his words ):tounge_out:

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had the same problems with hooksets using bluegill heads. the bait turns as he sucks it down. and the point never comes in contact with the fishs mouth. it just pulls out after you feel the weight of the fish. what i've been doing is hook the bluegill inside it's mouth just below the eyes coming out the top of it's head. the hook fits really tight in the thick bone, and it does'nt seem to turn as much. i use 7/0, and 8/0 circles.

11. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but I would like to pass along an observation. The last couple of days I have been seeing small dead shad floating on the surface. Most of what I am seenig is about 1" long. I don't know if this is normal die off or if it is a result of our Easter week end cold weather. While fishing near the downwind bank in 6' deep water, I kept catching glimpses of catfish in the 10 to 15 lb range passing very near the surface. I think they were feeding on these small shad. A 1"shad smaller than a minnow is not a very big bite for a ten pound fish. That was sure what it looked like to me. The point being is that it does not take a large bait to catch a fish. The point of the hook has got to be exposed to get a good hook set. The last two days have been the toughest fishing that I have encountered in the last three years in south Texas. When you try to feed them something other than what they want to eat you are not going to catch many fish.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Cut the head off right behind the pectoral fins, then cut the tail off near the end of the gut pocket. Toss the tail overboard and put the head and middle section on your hook.

For small shad, cut em in half and just use the front half, maybe putting a couple of them on the hook.

13. wiskeredwarrior101

State:
    virginia
    im using the large hickory shad that have been running lately theyre about a foot long and ive been chopping them into 1 1/2 inch sections and throwin out the tails and using the heads. how do i catch the smaller gizzard shad around the rapp area?

14. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I run my hook through it two or three times leaving the hook point out a bit.Workin good so far:smile2:

15. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Thanks Marty and Kevin for the tips. Seems that the channels like the guts. Never have many bites without the gut. Would descaling help? Maybe try silver carp chunks tomorrow. Rain or shine. Either that or i'll go big. The whole"shad"olada. Thanks again

Dru

16. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Most of the fishing around here is channel cats with a few flats. 15 to 20 lb on the high end. Last year I tried many of the usual tehniques I had in the past. I decided I like fillet so why wouldn`t the cats. I cut the blue-gill into 1 inch strips dicarded head and tail, took out rib bones and left the skin on. Using a 3/0 worm hook and about an inch down run all the way through the meat and skin. Fishing in a little bit of current it must have flopped around a little and the next couple hours I caught 3- 5#, 2- 7# and 1-12# channel cats. Just goes to show try anything different when it aint going right.