Cut Bait, Hook Placement for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Baitkiller, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    :0a35:

I'm looking for a "Better Way" to place the hooks in cut bait PLEASE HELP!!

I know to keep the hook point exposed and with the Flatheads toying/ lite bitting at times and not slamming the baits I need help! I've read in the "B.O.C. Library" about partley cutting off one side of a Shad than running the hook through the head than hooking it through the tail but do not quite understand and can not picture this. The best I can do now is to use a Treble Hook which can be place in the center of a cut bait, which can not ?? be done with a "J" hook or "Circle" This allows the Flatheads to take in the barb of the hook more when not taking the whole bait. Right now I'm getting a hook up ratio of about 10% and Dang Proud of it too!! The 6/0 trebles do help alittle.

:0a36:

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    By golly, Baitkiller. I think you finally asked the question nobody can answer!

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Sinker

I'm a firm believer there is "always a better way" to do things when it comes to fishing and life too! One just has to ask or figure it out and be WILLING to do it.

:0a23:

4. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You ain't lettin that bait down in the mud to where they hafta dig for it are ya?

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I was thinking that myself about them digging for it. Maybe put a small float in front of it to keep it off the bottom so they can get a good hold of it?

6. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    just the other day I saw a pic someone posted showing a shad threaded on a long shank hook, anyone know where to find it or at least saw it ?

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Nope guys their not digging for it on the Ohio River.

I use 10' Surf Spin and have a 4-5 foot line below the cut bait for the break-away sinker and tight-line. The area I fish is an old blown up lock and dam (snag city) and believe it to be 80% stone & concrete bottom. The L O N G break-away line below the hook is to help keep the bait from getting in between the slabs of concrete & stone. Even though I may cast out 40 yds, my best guess that with the wall I'm fishing off is that I'm 10-14' above the bottom.

I did seach the internet too for a better way to hook a cut bait and the best I could find was a double hook rig which I already knew about. What I am hoping to find is a single hook method. This because it scares the bejangles outta me when hand landing Flatheads with either two hooks in their mouth or a dang "Terrible" hook. And no I need the other hand free for when I fall in the rocks while getting down to land the fish, no net. 85% of the time I fish with the "best of company", me, myself & I,

Most here don't believe/know/think/refuse to try for or plain ol call it something else when the Flatheads go into the lite bite mode. I've seen it for two years now and when they are in this mode is when I get 80% of my Flatheads.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Sometimes on cut bait after scaling it I will run the hook completely through one side and do the same in the middle then finaly a third time at the other end but not pulling it all the way through just exposing the hook. The line will help hold onto the bait and keep it in line with the hook. I will use anykind of hook with this as long as it is a good size hook. Also you can use two hooks on your leader by using a dropper loop and putting one hook at opposite ends, I haven't used this one much. Also you can hook under and over the backbone this will keep the hook in position.

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Bro Catfish

Yes, do a "Google" search under...... hooking cut bait ....... on about page #8 you will see it.

10. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Baitkiller, do the fish you DO catch on the lite bite have full stomachs? Does it happen during any particular time of day or nite?

11. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    great question let me know if you find a answer because i sure dont:confused:

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Sinker

The Flathead "Lite Bite" I see on cut bait is all year long. Yes some are full when they do this on the Ohio River while tight-lining.

I think I see this more then others due to tight-lining with one of the "super lines" plus these lines are ALOT FASTER on the hook-set compared to monos BIG TIME!! Still @ best, I'm proud to say when they are doing this my Hook-up ratio is @ best 10% ! 10% is better then no fish ;) !!

:love-big:

13. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Baitkiller, I'm probly way off base, but I've seen fish in aquariums carry bits oof food to keep it to themselves, like a gar does. I'd hafta try a circle hook to see if they accidentally hook themselves. As per my last post, I thought maybe they just weren't hungry.

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Sinker

Regarding Shad cut bait: My wifes PB Flathead (33 3/4#), caught on 1/2 of an 11" Shad had a 2-3# Carp with 15% of it still sticking out of its stomach. They do love the cut bait. Wlalter "Wolfman" seen her Cat and the fish in it.

When they are doing this here "Lite-Bite" mode they will not run with it most all the time but will keep pecking at it up sometimes / or just leave most of the time.

15. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Appears yer talkin bout "right now". Water aint warmed up that much. I dont spose its any warmer in Ohio than it is in Missouri. I use J-hooks or Kahles in cooler water. The fish (like me) dont seem to move very fast. I've had lite-bites all winter. Havent really caught that many fish. Do catch a few tho.
    I night fish mostly and consider it a good night if I have more than one "dinger" go off. They just aint as agressive in cooler water.

Bout the only thing I can suggest is to keep yer hooks "Super Sharp". I think alotta fish are lost due to dull hooks. Especially when "they're just peckin" around on the bait.

Hope sumthin here helps.

16. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    that is a hard question to answer but instead of hook placement try a different hook. I seem to get more hookups on whisker sticker hooks or circle hooks, than when using just any j hook

17. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Steve, I'll tell you what I do and I have a pretty good hook up ratio, I guess around 90%. I use a 10/0 gamakatsu octopus hook, my drop line for my weights vary from 6-12" and I do not use the clicker unless I'm fishing at night and I'm going to take a nap. I only set the hook when the rod is loaded up and almost always get the fish "almost". The 4-5 ft. droper seems to me to be a little excessive. Have you tried to fish in front of the structure instead of in it? I don't really hook my bait any special way. If I'm using small cut up pieces, I just run the hook through the middle of about 5 or 6 pieces. If I'm using big cut bait I usually run it through the eyes on a big head or at the top of the back or on a tail and mid section I'll hook it in the tail section to keep it from spinning around and tangling my line up. On live bait, depending on how fast the current is I'll hook it either through the tail (in low current) or hook it through the eyes or lips in fast current. I do not believe in using treble hooks because if your line breaks and the hook stays in the mouth it could hook the upper and lower jaws together and the fish would die. Hope this helps...

18. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Usually when I fish cut bait Im fishing channels. But I like the kahle hook for that. I just have a sliprig and I keep the pole in my hand, I have the reel on freespool and my thumb on the line keeping tension. When a fish takes off I know hes there but he does'nt feel anything then I reel any slack line if any then i pop him. i dont like to hook cutbait nothin but a 1/4" deep and have that point exposed.