Cut bait for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by illnoize, Jul 16, 2006.

1. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    How effective is cut bait for flatheads? Does it work better at certain times of the year? Do you have channels hitting the bait more?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I keep reading about live bait for flatheads and that it works much much better for them. I do hear about the occasional flathead being caught on cut bait though.

3. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How effective is cut bait for flatheads?
    I have caught 22 Flatheads so far this year (just checked my notes). All from the Obion river. Largest was 17.7 Lbs. 19 were caught on live pond perch (green sunfish). 3 were caught on nightcrawlers. I had at least one pole/line baited with cut bait each time I caught a flat. So... from my highly limited and wholey un-scientific research; I would say cut bait is not an effective flathead bait.
    Does it work better at certain times of the year?
    I Don't know
    Do you have channels hitting the bait more?
    I have caught 71 channel cats so far this year. Obion river, Reelfoot lake, Mississippi river, and 2 private lakes. 1 was caught on shrimp. 7 were caught on chicken liver. 11 were caught on nightcrawlers. 36 on cut bait. The rest on live (as near as I can tell) pond perch. So to answer your 3rd question, Channels defintely hit cut bait more than flats.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

wow noe thats keeeping good records, I may have to get me a notebook

5. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I started 2 weeks ago and went to circle hooks and cut bait because i just wasnt getting the strikes Ive been crushing them on the cut bait we had probably the best night ever tonight we put 15 in the boat the biggest was 12# but we had 2 trophy class cats pull lose under the boat and we also hook some nice channels in the 28 to 30inch class we caught 1 flatty on a live gill Ill have a pole with cut bait and one with live on from now on.Caught this one the other night on cut bait.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/shedaddict/HPIM0146.jpg

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    personally i've never heard of any nice flats bein caught on cutbait...they're predators man lol they like to kill

7. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There you go illnoize. 1 for and 1 against. However, one thing FlatheadMan and I agree on is keeping both baits out there. Don't handicap yourself by just using one.

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Myself and TA2D catch mostly Channels on cutbait. But we've caught an occasional Flathead on cut shad. Most usually catch them on live gills/green sunfish or chubs.

SudDawg

9. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Very good information rep points your way for it

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I've caught Flatheads on cut bait this year but no big ones. Seems the smaller Flats are more willing to hit the cut bait then the big ones. I get a good many Channel Cats on the cut bait.

11. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Well...I've caught nearly 30 flatties this year, and most have been on cut bluegill and 2 of them were over 30 lbs. (Biggest was 38.5 lbs). BUT........they've all been out of a river. I think that live bait is better in lakes! To cover the bases, I try to keep both live and cut bait out at the same time.

12. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Bluegill heads (fresh) they will take, but all in all, they like nice fresh lively bait fish the best.

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    On the Ohio River in NE Ohio that IS the bait they want!!!!!!!!!!

I gave them a choice of live or cut Shad and for about 8 months and THEY wanted fresh cut Shad. The last 50 or more Flatheads of mine were all caught on cut along with my PB. Its what they wanted!!!!!!!!!

Now keep n mind that this may not hold true here in the lakes.

Tested Opinion

14. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    If you don't think yellowcats like cutbait, just look at the one in my profile. I have many more pics of nice flats over 30lbs off cutbait as well. If you find the yellows you can catch them on cutbait better during different water conditions.

15. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I have caught flatheads on cutbait. They were never big ones though, and I was always targeting channels at the time.

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I rarely ever mess with cut bait. I know you can get flats on em. I am just too lazy and dont like to bring extra bait along for cut bait. I pretty much only use bullheads for bait and they're not a very good choice for cut bait plus they never seem to die. Perhaps if bream were legal to use here I would use them for cuttie when they die.

17. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    In my area most of the time you fish for flat's with live bait, and Channels and blues with cutbait,etc,etc. But i have like most others have caught Flatties on cutbait,and Channels on Live bait. But I can say around here the flats seem to like the live bait best, but not always.

18. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    well my partner has been fishing for flattys for about 15 years and fished strickly with live suckers but this year with all the rain here he hasnt been able to get them even with him seeing me catch some pretty big flattys on live blue gill he wouldnt budge so its been a little slow I decide to try some thing new about two weeks ago so I cut the head and tail off a gill and wipe that thing out there and bam pull in a 30in flatty in the same place i had a live one for about 2hrs Ive been out every night for 2weeks and caught fish every night.Last night we caught 18 fish think 50/50 flattys to channel and most were from 7 to 12# but had some trophy ones hooked.I ve fished live bait all my life for flattys and never seen them like this with cut bait so im sure it has some thing to do with water conditions or weather .I caught on flat that had a 12in channel cat sticking out his throat that he wasnt even done eating and he took a cut blue gill.I guess the main thing is just giving them what they want!!!! defferent methods for different times .

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I myself have caught them on both live and cut up gills. Interestingly enough though, the few times I have caught them on cut bait, I was using the head portion.

20. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Cut herring is all i have ever caught a flathead on. My biggest is 35lbs. A 15 to 20lb, is almost regular lately. So they will hit cut bait.