Cut bait for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Reel_Blues, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have been reading alot of posts about guys using cut bluegill for flats. I have always used live for flats but am going to give the cut gills a chance. Has anyone had sucess in the Lynchburg/Amherst county area using cut gill if so please exsplain how you present your bait. I have a pretty good idea but any advise is greatly appriciated. You can never know enough tricks when it comes to catfishing.:big_smile:

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    :smile2: Never hurts to try cut baits, but if i was you id stick to live bait. IMO thats what they always have went for.

3. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
    Definetely stick with the LIVE BAIT. I only use cut bait if all my live bait has been used up and I catch a bream who swallowed the hook to far down and is almost dead. If this is the case, then I use only the head, but like I said, this is only if all live bait is gone.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I catch a few Flatheads in the Tidal James in the Spring on cut Hickory Shad. I am targeting Blues but was told by a guide that the flatheads move downstream in the Fall looking for deeper warmer water. Early Spring they start moving back upstream, I guess with the spawning shad, with final destination the fall line rapids all thru Richmond. I don't know for sure, just what I have been told. Never hurts to put a bloody hunk out there and try something new.

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Have any of you ever had any success with store-bought packaged baits, such as the preserved fish (not frozen, just dried and packaged)?

Just wondering...

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Fish are unpredictable, I catch more blues on live gill and more Flats on Blue Gill head lol, go figure. But I always have one pole with live Gill, one with Gill head, one with Eel chunk and one with live Eel or whatever else I bring for bait.

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I have had some luck with cut menhadden here around wilm lately ,had cut an live bream out an eel but the fish hit the manhadden go figgur :wink::smile2: