Cut Bait For Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by SouthernWhiskers, Feb 27, 2009.

1. SouthernWhiskers

SouthernWhiskers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have experienced several encounters with yellowcats(flatheads) over my fishing experience using cut sha, or shad gut. 9 out of 10 times they were feeding heavily, getting ready to spawn. I don't just target only flats but it bears worth saying, don't be fooled by those who say flats only feed on live bait. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Welcome to the BOC Josh!

I think most folks here would agree that Flatheads will on occasion take fresh cutbait. I have especially noticed this in the spring where I live. In fact, I have seen some folks on this forum that exclusively use cutbait to target Flatheads.

However, I would certainly say that Flatheads primarily feed on live bait. Personally, I would recommend to anyone seeking advice for catching Flatheads that they use lively baits.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Josh! I agree with Stumpie..:roll_eyes: Many use cutbaits for flatheads, and with great success! I however, have only had good luck with cutbaits early in the spring or late in the year when they start holeing up in their "wintering areas". I primarily use livebaits, but often mix in fresh cut shad, chubs, etc. Where I fish, I usually can't get away from them pesky channels most of the time with cutbait. Anyways, welcome aboard! Glad to have ya.....rollo

4. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I have caught all my flats on cut bait in the spring but the thing is that I wasn't looking for them......:smile2:

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Depends on where your fishing in Arizona I only used live bait here in Indiana I only use fresh cut skipjack all year long and do very well. Theres two baits I have found that flats love on the Ohio and thats live baby carp and fresh skipjack. I have fished live bluegill against skipjack and the cut skipjack usually wins. I fished live bait only for flats for about 4 years and you wouldnt catch me using cut bait. Then I talked to JW or Dreadnaught a BOC member that swore by fresh cut skipjack, when out fishing with him one night. Knowing that he knew what he was talking about I gave it a try with great success and have never looked back. However, for the beginning flathead fisherman I would have to say stick with live bait.