Cut bait for channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 18, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    wats a good bait

in the 5-10 lb range

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    crawlers, liver, cutbait. My last 4 channels were all caught on cutbait. But honestly they will eat almost anything.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The head of any legal baitfish that lives in the waters ya are gonna fish.

4. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I have done good with small blue gills, that would be my choice.:wink:

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Leroy,
    Channel cats seem to the least picky of there species i think. Ive caught channels on anything from night crawlers to hot dogs. Live shad/ cut shad work really well. Chicken and Beef liver has been known to produce some good channels. Ive even caught several on Wheaties dough balls while fishing for carp. Id try a variety of what everyone here has said and see what works best for you. Hope this helps you out. rspd507

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    My favorite cutbait is perch...due to that being the primary forage fish in most of the places I go...although cut shad is still good anywhere.

In the river I fish in there is such a diverse selection of forage fish for them to choose from...I'm sure it just becomes a matter of a target of opportunity...and like the others...I haven't met a picky channel cat on just about an everyday basis.

That doesnt mean that there aren't THOSE days...you know...when old faithful doesn't work...and neither does anything else you've tried.

This is the time to get creative. try seining, cast netting, or catching creek chubs...wild shiners...red horse...or even a BASS or a trout. (Cutting up a gamefish for bait is legal here in Kansas as long as it was caught by legal means...which incidentally...ANY legally taken game animal may be used for bait)

Fish get tired of the same old same old just like we do...and will take the opportunity to change their diets direction if it is given.

Another...my personal favorite...bait is AWESOME in the rivers where they are present...spoonbill and gar eggs. The channel and blues gobble them up when NOTHING else works....especially so in the colder early spring months....and during the spoonbill and gar spawning runs.

Bar none...eggs are the river KING in these parts....and nothing else compares in the fun it is snagging 70-100 lb spoonbill to get free catfish bait as well as tasty table fare....or bowfishing for gar as they congregate by the ? of thousands up by the low water dam that prevents them from moving upstream.

It brings a whole new light to the term catching bait...lol. :wink:

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I basically take nightcrawlers and a cast net with me. Whatever I catch on the crawlers is either used live or cut up. Whatever I catch in the cast net gets used live or cut up. IMHO large Channel Cats prefer fresh or live bait from their own water. Smaller ones readily take stink bait or chicken livers.

Cut bait- take your bluegill and fillet the side. Depending upon the size of the filet it will give you one to three pieces of bait. The head is another. Discard the tail.

When hooking a filet either run the hook thru one end and again on the bottom, or if they are really finicky, just put the hook through one time and let it flop. One point. You MUST leave the hook point completely exposed. The point DOES NOT scare off the fish and an exposed point increases your hookup rate exponentially. (I am talking fishing, do not take an exposed hook point into a bar, cuz it doesn't do any good)

I like to use light line and a limber rod and just set my drag loose enough that it has no chance of breaking. The limber rod will have them at the hooking point in most cases by the time you pick up the rod. If they are finicky, when you see a tap or a big bow in the line (sign that the fish is coming toward you) pick up your rod tip and when you "feel" the fish, set it and set it hard.
    If you miss, get it back to the same spot. Channels will come back.

Good Luck.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    if your going to use cut bait use bluegill head on a kahle hook.If you want to try drawing one in faster you can stuff his mouth with adough bait or dip bait something to give it that added attraction works great for me.

9. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i myself like creek chubs & live bait on the river. on the lakes blood bait & cut bait works best for me. good luck!

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    My favorite bait this last summer was a combo. Out here everyone says and it's proven hands down chicken liver is best. I wanted bigger fish so I took some of my flathead bait bluegill that died and cut them in half and stuck them in a bucket of chicken liver for a day. Caught some big channels with it and it stays on the hook real good.

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Any sunfish head. The trick is to keep them alive until you get ready to bait your hook. Cut it's head off and get it into the water while it's still moving it's gills, By doing this it will pump out the scents that will call the boy's home for dinner.

12. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Amen to that!!! The head is the best!

13. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Regular minnows have been good for me for channels but liver can be hard to beat at times.

14. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I use cut sucker and gold eye for my best luck...

15. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    For trophy channel cats, fish (live or dead) from their natural waters are hard to beat. Big channel cats eat an abundance of what is naturally available to them. Big baits for big fish. . .

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I caught most of my large channel cats on cut and live bluegills. They can take a monster bait. I've had 10lbers hit a live bluegill bigger than your hand. My largest have come on cut shad. If you can't get live/cut get some fresh shrimp or livers. Also if you can go a few days before you're gonna catfish you can catch bait and put it immediately on ice. As soon as you get home put them in a quality freezer bag and freeze them. If you use them in a week or when they thaw they still have slime and catch fish just as good as fresh. I actually hooked my biggest flatheads on frozen cutbait this year.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with what most have said on this matter already. I have caught my best channels on bluegil heads. I have caught literally hundreds and hundreds of catfish on fresh chicken livers. Fresh cutbait of almost any kind, will work well. Live bluegil usually catches the largest , usually flatheads and large blues. Channels will swallow live bluegil as well. Goodluck.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    carp, sucker, shad, perch all work great.

19. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Pretty much anything that everyone else has already said but i have had my best luck on cut shad and chicken liver

20. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    When channels are small they eat most everything. The bigger they get the more of a predator they become. I won a tournament with a piece of chicken liver that was half frozen and barely hanging on the hook by the fat strings. I find fresh liver works better than old around here. It caught a 13 lb channel when nobody else's cutbait was working. Ya never know......... Gills are plentyfull and work great.