cut bait for carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by daredevle, Oct 26, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hi guys i was thinking im new to carp fishing so bear with me would cut bait bait work for carpo cut bream or shad or waht?

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Carp will make good cut bait but i've not heard of anyone catching carp on cut bait.

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    It's possible to catch on cut bait, but you'd have better luck winning the lottery.
    It would be better to use corn, worms or boilies for carp.

Will :004:

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Anything is possible but less likely. A guy told me he caught two of them on worms.(fish story not sure). I have heard on more than one occasion people catching them on liver, dead minnows.

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    worms will work for carp, but its more likly to catch one on bread, corn, boilies, anything like that.

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Impossible NO! Highly Unlikely is more closely related to the truth. Carp will take minnows in the margins or flys off the top, but will not most likely take a piece of Cut bait. In England, they are caught on Luchmeat (Spam), Salami, Sausage and other meat products. I have not done so myself, but have spoken to those that have used them and caught fish. These fish are in lakes and other waters that see many different fisherman every day. They have become accustomed to varied menus and this happens to be a variation. Could it happen, in a word YES. I just do not think that you will have much LUCK! JMHO!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

7. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It is possible. Carp are omnivorous, and a staple in their diet is crayfish and mussles, they need the protein. Over in europe blood worms and other things are used, but not over here due to catfish and other fish that will take the bait instead. I have caught a 27lber on sweetcorn made even sweeter with red worm. I wouldn't use cut bait for carp though.

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I caught a 9 lb. carp using live shad on a trot line last summer. It was probably dead shad by the time he bit... so pretty much cut shad. I was obviously targeting catfish, so it was a surprise to see a carp on the line. But I guess it means you can catch them using shad.... although I wouldn't go through the trouble of finding and catching shad just to catch carp cause they will go for worms. I put a picture of my fishing buddy holding him... thats me in the back of the boat.

Attached Files:

9. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    I never caught carp on cut bait. Mix cottenseedmeal and flour and big red soda. Work great as a dough bait

10. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I caught a 17 pound carp on a dead minnow in Clear Lake last year. I was fishing for Catfish and he inhaled it. However, I agree that if you are targeting carp, you are much better off using a tried and true bait (dough balls, corn, bread). Tight lines!:wink:
    Linz

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i caught several at webbers falls ok one time on small shad but the carp were in 4 or 5 inches of water feeding on them.

12. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught a couple on lures and minnows. My favorite bait is Kix cereal soaked in strawberry soda.

13. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i gave a buddy of mine a piece of cut carp and he went down about 25 yards from where i was fishing. about 30 minutes later he was telling me to get the net and that he had a big ol catfish. got the fish up by the bank and into the net and it was a 27 lb carp believe it or not.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Corn tortillas, thats the way to go.