CUT BAIT 101

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mr. Foster, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would appreciate any help with useing cut bait. Ive been catching some 10-12" shad and freezing them as I catch them. I have alot of luck on live perch, but sometimes the action slows down and im wanting to try cutting up some shad and give that a try. I know the fish eat shad cause its a natural forage and ive caught them on live and dead shad. I was also wandering about how current affects the cut bait? Do you need to change it more often in current? Any help would be appreciated, thankyou.

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Frozen shad will deteriorate if they are frozen too long. If they are not used within 6 mos then you should throw them out. I have tried 1 year old shad on my jugs at Kaw and they were a bust. The act of freezing breaks down the shad and the odor is not the same as fresh. Use fresh or get some skippies for freezing.

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ive only had them for about a month and plan to use them asap when I know more about it?

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    when you use cutbait you have to decide if you're going to use strips or chunks. strips have more action in current and chunks can eliminate a lot of smaller fish. for chunks i like to cut off the head then cut away the gut pocket(great strip baits) then depending on the size cut 4-6 chunks. the head makes a great chunk bait too it has a bone in it for you to anchor it with now depending on the currents i prefer to do what is nicknamed "cone head" this is simply cutting the bottom jaw off the bait what does this do? it keeps the bait from spinning (cutting the gut pocket does too) in the current. in the first picture your cuts go from left to right #1 head, #2 gut pocket, #3 chunks.
    the second picture is the head as is and the third is a cone head. hope this helps.

strip baits are another issue

Attached Files:

5. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Depending on the size of the bait I either cut it into 3 pieces, discarding the tail piece or if its big bait I cut it into steaks seems to work pretty good for my jugs

6. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mark:

I appreciate your comments very much. Thanks for the pics as well. You make a very good point. Thanks for the tip.

Ralph

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes that was very helpfull, thankyou Mark.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009