Cut and frozen baits for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Aug 5, 2007.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I must be different than most...I catch 99 percent of my flatheads on cut shad, and probably 50 percent of them are on frozen shad...I can fish cut bait right beside the live bait and the cut always gets the hits.

2. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    90% of the bait i use i cut bait. if the kid is fishing 4 bluegill ill use them as live bait but thats about it.

3. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    Due to time constraints I have not been able to catch alot of live bait before going after the flatheads. Instead of fishing a live whole 9 or 10 inch sucker, I'll cut him into 3 pieces and have caught more than my buddy who has been fishing live baits.:smile2: Whats unusual for me this year is when I have been fishing live baits, I've caught more channels than flatheads:eek:oooh:

4. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    all my flatheads this year have been off cutbait.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    hum ,i never had any luck on frozen baits,but then again i havent tried frozen shad either. i bet its because they are so smelly like skippies are,what ya think. gills are so accessable they are all i use,got at least 40 in the tank all the time.lol

thanks for the tip Jack,and hey were you been anyhow?

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've caught a bunch of flatheads on cut fish of different sorts. Mostly sunfish, but a few on shad and some on shiners. Actually my biggest ever came on cut bait and the largest fish I've ever had hooked came on cutbait, even though I catch mostly smaller fish on the cutbait. I don't really ever use frozen, but I'm sure it works for some.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I usually do better with the live baits, but there have been times when live bait wasnt working, I would reel in and cut the head off and catch a few flatties off the fresh cut bait. The heads of bluegills have produced better than the body.

TIP: If your baitfish die in the bait bucket or on the line, dont throw it away...cut it up and use it.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

around here it goes in cycles in the begining of the season when the water temp is still kinda cold fresh cut shad will take flathead as the water begins to warm they become more agressive and will start hitting the live baits more and more late in the season as the water begins to cool again they will start taking cut shad more often

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    No.

You are wrong.

Flatheads do not eat cut bait and never ever eat frozen cut bait.

:wink:

Seriously, I truly believe that if I fished nothing but cut bait (and I won't fish frozen bait for channels, certainly not for flatheads), then I would catch many less flatheads, maybe none in the Edisto River.

I have caught several nice flatheads on the Santee on cut bait, though.

I have a theory that in some bodies of water they can be more or less selective - maybe it has to do with the available bait suply or the water clarity or something? It also seems that with the flatheds that I have caught on cut bait, I was lucky enough to drop it right in their face. It seems like they will come farther for a good lively sunfish.

I'm curious - where and when are you fishing and catching flatheads on cut and frozen shad? Lake or river, time or day, and time of year?

My nightime fishing is strictly livebaits. My cut-bait flatheads have moslty been caught during the day in deeper holes in a river in the fall/early winter.

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Most all of the flatheads that I catch on cutbait have come during the warmer months b/c that's when I catch most of my flatheads. During the late fall/winter period I catch very few while I'm fishing for channel cats. I catch much more on cut bluegill than I do cut shad.