Customer Service at its Best

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Boomer, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How many times have you called a help line, and have a hard time understanding, "Bill" or "Sue" on the other end?

I want to relate a story about Dell computers, that still to this day I cant seem to get over.

I had ordered probably 7-8000 dollars worth of equipment from Dell and didnt have a problem until x-mas time last year. For x-mas I was going to purchase another laptop for my neice (My 3rd Laptop) and a Playstation for my daughter. Grand total I think was around 1,000 for both, plus a few games for the playstation. Made the order, and was tracking them. The computer was shipped out, arrival date was such and such, great no problem. The order for the playstation was rejected? I think my limit was 2500, and I had no balance with them.

I call the 800 number, and realized I might have an issue, I dont speak what ever language they were speaking and apparently they werent up on their Okie. So I asked to talk to a manager. So "Bill" with the funny accent got on line, and I asked him why my order was rejected, he said because he couldnt verify the phone number. We had just changed phone numbers, due to the contract with my old cell service had expired, and I changed companies. He told me since I had changed phone numbers they could not process the playstation. I then asked him, "Do I have to pay for the computer I recieved", because you didnt verify my phone number. He reconned I had to pay for that one. So I tell the guy, I want the playstation, he said, he couldnt process the order he couldnt verify my phone number. So I asked him if they had pens and pencils and paper where he was from, he said yes, so I told him to get some, so I can give him my new phone number. He thought about this for a minute, and said, he could not do that. Again I asked him why not, he said he didnt know if was me that was calling on this account. I asked Mr. Brains, if it wasnt me how would I know my SSN and password to get in and give him the account number.

When I get mad, I think everyone should be upset. So I tell the guy I need to report a missing laptop that was supposed to be shipped to me. I gave him the serial number off the bottom of it. He asked me why I was reporting it missing, when I told him I had recieved it. I told him he did not verify it was me by phone, and that therefore, it might not have been me that recieved it, I could not verify it.

I have a firm believe that if I am paying for a product or service and it dont meet my expectatoins, then I should go up the higher chain of command. However Dell apparently has no higher level than customer service. I sent Dell customer service an e-mail.......slamming them on their customer service and recieved a nice form e-mail, stating "We are sorry......blah blah"

I think they need to retitle their Service Department to Customer Dis-Service, or a simpler title may be "Contact the Idiots"

Anyone else out there had any problems like this?

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Gary, at least you got someone that spoke english. usually i end up talking to the whole country of india before i get to speak to someone i can remotely understand. all companies seem to have adopted this practice for the most part, i guess they figure most people will get frustrated and give up. i just usually say "ishkabibble to you too, now transfer my call to your supervisor". now you may have to do this a few times but eventually they are the ones who get frustrated and give in. essentially it is a battle of wills. and usually who ever i do talk to who does speak english sounds as funny as a three dollar bill. don't know why that is but thats always what happens.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yep, customer service is a thing of the past, this is very sad

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah the old days are looking better and better to me. In the old days, people tried to get your issue resolved and not give you the run around.

I remember another incident at Wally World. It was winter and snowing, I had bought the recommend "computer" wiper blades for my Chevy truck, I had got off work late, and didnt feel like putting them on in the snow and dark, so I decided I would do so in the morning. Well needless to say, I got the wrong size. So at 7:00 in the morning I took them back to Walmart to get the right ones.

Apparently you can only do exchanges after 9:00, or according to them you do. I took my blades back still in the sack, and went and got the correct blades for my truck, even though a second time the computer told me the wrong ones. I took them to the cashier, she scanned the new blades and told me I had to pay for these. I explained to her the cost was the same, and through a computer error, I had gotten the wrong ones. Well you would have thought I was trying to rob the store. She told me she was not going to exchange them. I told her I wanted her to get her manager. This nerdy fellow comes up there, I again explain to him what had happened, me and him got into it. I am not going to tell you where I threatened to shove those blades, but me and him came to a quick understanding, that I was going to exchange those blades.

To add insult to injury he told me, 1. He was going to have to open up the customer service desk. 2. He was going to have the guy in automotive bring up the correct ones.

By this time I was late for work, had to call in. Needless to say I was steaming by this time. We wait 20 minutes on the automotive guy, to bring back the "correct blades". He finally arrived, with the same blades I had purchased the night before. Then the idiot manager told me these were the correct blades, and hinted that I didnt know how to change them. Now I am still holding the correct blades and the ones that were the wrong size. I see red, start shaking from the bottom up. I thought about strangling the nerdy guy, holding my temper I head toward the door. The nerd says you need to come back and pay for those blades. I returned them to him, if he hadnt ducked they probably would have taken off the top half of his head. The ones that didnt fit, missed him by inches. He ducked behind the counter by that time, and the parts guy took off to the back of the store.

So here I am now snowing 1 wiper blade that barely worked snowing and probably wanted by the law, heading to autozone. I get to autozone, looking back and around me for city cops, get inside go and get the right blades, (same one the second time at Wally World), and put them on and headed to work.

Needless to say, I didnt get my refund on the wiper blades, and when I got to work, I called my wife and told her if Cops showed up there looking for me to tell her I had been at work since the night before......

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Wow Boomer. Does trouble follow you around? Been following your post today and it looks like it knows you well. LOL Keep on postin. Makes me realize I live kind of a quiet life nowadays. Not always but quiet at the time. LOL

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes I'm afraid it is a thing of the past.

AND IF YOU think thats bad try getting correct help/info/service from a State of Ohio employee......RRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

:dribble::dribble:

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Useful phrases for talking to an India helpline.

Tāyalet kahan hai? (Where's the toilet?)

Maiṁ samajh nahṁ pā rahā hūṁ (I don't understand)

dogalA khusha kutiya se eka veshyA (Might be in the wrong order, but the person on the other side should be able to get the meaning)[Might get hung up on if the phrase is used] :cool2:

Pronunciation is as it sounds.

:004:

8. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    now this is customer service my poor old mother and i go to walmart mom is thirsty so we go to the soda fountain and i order 2 drinks well you have to fill your own so i go to the ice machine no ice i go back to the bar and ask sir there isnt any ice in the ice machine he says well what do you want me to do about it i said in my most kindly voice i want you to get me some G&* D%#$ ice by now the place is quiet and i am stepping up to the plate ready to knock home boy out of the park and lucky for one of us the manager comes up sends him to the back and says real sorry about that and gets me and poor ol thirsty mom some ice for our sodas needless to say i felt bad poor ol mom had to see me getting upset but i got a feeling she was trying to sell tickets to the rumble yeehaa

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont feel to bad i tried ever thang i could to get a hold of some one with coffey scales ,the ones that are sold to the boc,after 6 months of trying i gave up and bought an inferrier set of scales.they are not near the quaility but at least the salesman remembers my name when i go in his store.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have sprint for my cell service. After forever of them calling me each week offering me another line of service or another phone and me telling them not interested I started telling them remove my name and do not call and remove me from the promo BS list. They kept calling so I filed a complaint with do not call dot gov. Guess what the calls stopped. Then I received a letter saying that my contract was about up. I called them and said what are ya gonna do to keep me. I ended up getting about 2 months of service for free. LOL

11. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Reminds me of the time I had a house line for dial up internet, never made any long distance calls on it, so I would get a call from AT&T asking me to switch services for 100 dollars for long distance. I said sure, then I would get a call from someone else offering me something, so I would tell them sure sign me up...then about 3 months later AT&T would see I had switch carriers and offer me another 100, I think for the year I had service on that line I made about 400 dollars off AT&T. I figure it like this if they aint smart enought to look at the records and see that I had never made a long distance call, then I needed to take some money off them.....

12. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I just love going to either WalMart or Kroger, spending your hard earned money, and being checked out by some chick with a pierced nose or eye brow who smacks her gum, never acknowledges you or says, "Have a Good day" I usually take a quick look at her name tag and say "Betty Joe, I hope you have a REALLY GREAT DAY", smile and walk away. I'm sure it means nothing to her (or him) but somehow it makes me feel better.

My worst encounter was at Krogers; went to the meat counter; sloppy guy comes to "assist" me, turns away, runs to garbage can and proceeds to vomit! Wipes his mouth with the back of his hand and returns to the counter. Did he wash his hands...of course not. Did I get anything, He!! no. Asked to speak to the manager, relayed the story to him. Did he care...NO. ARgued with me that I must have been mistaken. I told him to expect a call from the Health Department since I was planning to call them the next day. Was anything done...probably not.

It's unfortunate that we, the customers who spend our money, don't count anymore.

13. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have come to the conclusion over the years, if it can happen to someone it is going to happen to me.....lol

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I truely dont think we have customer service anymore. And to make matters worse, Managers and Supervisors, are the worst ones.

I had an incident where I ordered a chop saw that had to be special ordered.

Let me ask you a question. I ordered the following chop saw. 14 inch, 3 hsp, 220v single phase. I dont understand how you can order the saw 2 times, and still not get it right, but it happened to me.

I called the idiot who was ordering the saw and asked him a question that he might be able to answer. What is your managers number. Wrong, he couldnt find the manager number, so I told him to get me someone who had a clue. He gave me the VP number. Me and the VP had a long talk about that saw and the possiblity of a lawsuit over lost revenue. Now that got their attention. Still have a problem......lol...I told them I wanted my money back in check form, I specifically stated that so they would not screw it up, that I had already ordered another chop saw, from another company. Well they called and said that they had given me an in store credit. Is there something I am missing here? I thought when you make VP, you had a little bit more sense than the common idiot. Guess not....

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    about 75% of the time when i am talking on the phone to someone from customer service they somehow screw something up and its like pulling teeth to get them to talk to you about the problem or even get them to understand what the problem even is.

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The customer service counter is where you go when you are not angry enough at your circumstances.
    The telephone # for customer service is when you are angry enough.
    And the letter you send to customer service is just so you'll have "closure" for being screwed.
    See, it works out.
    :roll_eyes:

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Customer service.....lol I have a friend who is a pretty good size old boy, about 6'3" and weighs probably close to 450 lbs. Him and his wife is very nice, doesnt get excited about anything, kind of quiet and easy going. He told me an incident at Walmart, that every time I think about customer service, I have to laugh.

Apparently they bought something at Walmart, cant remember what he had bought. But his wife was going to return it. Apparently from what he was telling me this manager was "Rude and Crude" to his wife. I guess it was another one of those Geeky manager types.

Well my friend took his wife back in the store to find this guy. They went back to the customer service desk, and he told them he wanted to talk with the manager. I guess the lady asked them if she could help. My friend told her, not if she want to take this guys "A** whipping he was fixing to recieve". I guess the lady decided she didnt want to do that, so she call this manager up.

The guy walked up there and my friend looked at him and asked him if he was the one who had talked to his wife, he said she was. He told the little fellow, ok, go ahead and talk to me the same way you talked to my wife, so I wont feel bad, when I kick the living crap out of you. My friend didnt him him, but I bet that changed this managers whole out look on customer service, as he saw his life flashing before his eyes.

18. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    This is why I bought Apple computers the second time around. Catfishjon

19. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    yeah I tried to order a dell,talked to 2 indians I could not unnderstand with a bad connection.Then called apple talked to somebody from the good old USA,2 days later this dude got an apple .#1 service with support