Custom Minnow Trap

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by TA2D, Apr 19, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I made this trap the other day, and I am gonna donate it to one of the give aways that we have on this site. I constructed it with 1/4 galvanized mesh and tarred twine. I think that there are around 12-15 hours into construction in this trap. Tell me what you think. First pic is a side view, second is the front showing the throat/funnel, last is the back end showing the bait compartment.

TA2D

Aaron

Attached Files:

2. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Looks good TA2D!
    What size fish can you catch with that trap? I mean would 3"-5" gizzard shad be able to get through it?

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Screw the trap, man I saw green grass in one of those pictures :p Don't have any of that where I'm at.:sad:

Actually it looks much more of a refined product with the twine.
    Great job.

4. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    it looks like it will work good luck with your new toy

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    This trap was built to state regs for Nebraska, 18 inches long 8 inches high, and 8 inches wide with an opening no larger than 1 1/4 inches, mine is actually 1 square inch for the opening, mostly for minnow and will catch small sunfish 1 1/2 to 2 inchers. I don't belive that shad will enter a trap on purpose, because they are a filter feeder feeding on plankton and micro-orginisms. This one is more just for minnows. I was going to post a walk through, but haven't gotten to it just yet. hopefully soon. Oh yeah I do have one battle scar from my dremel during construction, 35,000 RPMs + bare skin = not good!

TA2D

Aaron

Attached Files:

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Unbelievably that scar wasn't on a tattoo!

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yeah, I'm lucky, now I just want to get another tattoo!

TA2D

Aaron

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dang man! now i have to go to the hardware store again:D great looking trap!

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I wouldn't recommend hand wrapping with twine, it is a pain in the butt, but it does make it look good. All I did was a simple lock stitch on it, I think that my mom taught me how to do that when I was younger.

Aaron

TA2D

10. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Don't lie Aaron....You're amongst friends. You learned that in Home Economics while I was still trying to figure out how to make those funnel cakes. :)

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Great trap! It should also catch crawdads. gooood baaait. I made mine like a cylinder. Not as many seams. good luck.

12. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    This was one of those projects, just to see if I could do it. It came out better than I expected. I just hope that it makes someone happy when the give away happens.

TA2D

Aaron

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Man, great lookin trap.

If you make another one, I would suggest trying to suspend the bait about 1 1/2 inches - 2 inches from the opening. Keep it away from the back wall. That will make the "targets" enter the trap.

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Aaron get that walk through posted and I'll get this in the library. Thanks for sharing a great idea.

Bryan

15. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    That looks great,very well made,i too made a cylinder type .but doesnt look no where as good as yours.GREAT JOB!!! im sure it will make someone very happy.

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Smart boy.That is where the girls were.On any size trap to catch(unbaitable fish).Set them facing downstream in a current.Wings with a top help funnel the fish,if legal.Try different places before giving up.peewee-williams

17. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I can make some traps for trade if anyone has something that they would like to trade, I doubt that I would use the twine again, big pain in the butt. I also make round traps if that is what you want.

Aaron

TA2D

18. scuffy

scuffy New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Thats a good looking minnow trap.

Thanks for Sharing,
    Steve

19. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good job Aaron, I hope I win it.

20. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Sign me up please :big_smile_2: .

Good job on the trap. Thanks for sharing.