Custom made bank fishing rod holders

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathunter, Jul 4, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have found that A good set of Rod Holders, make bank fishing for cats much more enjoyable. They also keep your reels off the ground, thus protecting them from dirt, mud and sand. Forked sticks will work, but they are a pain to find at times, as well as keeping them secure in the ground can be a hassle. Here is a couple pics of Rod holders I use. The first one I would like to thank My friend Buckeye-Tom for. They are constructed of rebar, and are very heavy duty.The second type I use is just a version of a forked stick, However these keep your rods much more stable, and are easy to get in the ground...I would suggest finding someone in a shop, Or with a welder to fabricate a quality pair of bank rod holders for your fishing enjoyment...I have had large flatheads hit rods siting in the heavy duty rod holders, if if you have them in the ground secure, they cant pull them out, excellent for circle hook fishing when you want the rod to "load up"

Attached Files:

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I just happen to know a fabricator, I may have to show these to him and see what the cost will be! I need a good set of bank rod holders.

Aaron

TA2D

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Aaron, if you have a set made, make sure that the part which goes into the ground is grounded down to a point, so it will go in to the ground.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish I could have two more of the rebar ones made.

5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We make Rebar where I work. Your Fabricator knows what he's doing, those can be tricky bends. If I may suggest to any who want to try this, get G40 #3 or #4 Rebar. Grade 60 is stronger but more brittle. Grade 40 bends easier and is plenty strong enough.

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I made some similar to those while in high school. If I remember correctly, they cost me about $0.30 each to make. I had about a dozen of them, but I'm notorious for leaving rod holders scattered all over the country. They're long since gone. A fella would have plenty of rod holders if he'd just follow me around for a few months.:angry:

Jerrod

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    They look great. What is the weight factor? I usually fish with 6-8 rods from the bank and sometimes walk quite a distance to get to the water.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Those are some great looking rod holders!!!

9. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    #4 Rebar is .668 lbs/ft and #3 bar is about .5 lbs/ft.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    These are very heavy. They get to you after walking a long distance.

11. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    Those rod holders sorta rock!!

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    They look strong enough to bring MOBY DICK in.

13. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    I have made 3-4 sets at work. i havent yet got that tight of a bend, not sure how they did it, but they work just the same. I would not use 3 bar, way too flimsy. Either #4, 40 or 60 grade, it doesnt matter as if ya got the drag set right and the holders good in the ground they aint bending or snapping. They suck on rocky ground, you just gotta keep trying till the both ends find their way in. I dont believe there is a better set of bank holder out there. When I have to take mine on a treck I bungee cord it to my my chair which I sling over my shoulder. when I go to make mine at work it is classified under gov't work. :smile2: Been thinkin about spending some time here soon and spend a little more time getting that bend tighter. good post jack

14. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mellon, didn't you see the sign? ( No Re-Bar rod holders on this pay lake ) ........

15. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I really like the way you can make them long enough to get the rod up high.

16. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have made 2 of those exact same rod holders out of rebar and probably a dozen out of 3/8" cold roll rod. Sure, the round rod will flex a little more than the rebar does but they weigh half and are much easier to get in the ground. I also painted mine all white so they are easier to find in the dark.

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Those are some good looking Rod Holders there Jack, very strong & powerful as well!
    Yea - they will get the job done! :boss:
    :0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

18. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey Jack, great thread buddy! I know place right around the corner that sells tons of rebar. Gonna have to experiment! lol

19. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you used 5/16 or 3/8 cold roll you could tap the bottom and adapt them to a boat.

20. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are great rod holders, funny thing is that my father (Fishhook) just helped me make a pair on Sunday and I painted them with black Rustoleum. He also welded a piece of flat stock close to the bottom so they didn't turn. I'll take some pics of them and post later. We made em out of 1/2" rebar that you can pick up at Lowe's for $3.81 for a 10' piece which we cut in half. Pics to come!:smile2: