Custom fishing rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by neocats, Oct 3, 2007.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    We have a lot of Custom Rod makers involved with the BOC. Maybe some could answer a question.

What are the advantages to using a custom rod over a typical mass-produced rod?

2. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well if you have a rod built for you then you are typically getting exactly what you want. The biggest advantage of a custom rod is much higher quality components and craftsmanship than something that was banged out by the thousands over in China.

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    rushing, POINT Well TAKEN!!!!!

HOPPY4

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That'd be great if the average catfisherman really knew what he wanted. But most of us don't, so a $180 custom rod ends up being a lot of money spent to solve the same problem that a $75 rod could solve.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The advantage is you get what you want. Not what the mass produced rod company's think you want. But Marty brings up a good point. Most people don't know what they want or fish enough in a season to care about it. I know exactly what I want in a rod. But I still have to rely on the rod blank companies to build it. Everyone is looking for a different feel in a rod. Some want it to bend all the way over to the reel handle others want to be able to slam the brakes on without the rod bending to the reel. Also it's not uncommon for me to toss out 12oz + sinkers. Few rods for catfishing are made to that spec.

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Doesnt seem like anyone makes a custom rod in a two piece. I always wanted to try one out assuming its a good price...

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    lets see the advantages of a custom are numerous. first there's cosmetics maybe you don't want foam grips or you want the rod to be a different color, or you want the wrap to be your favorite team's color(black over pearl white with gold trim). then there's funtional reasons such as where you want the reel seat so it fits you instead a rod company saying 20 inches fits most people and if it doesn't, too bad. you can choose a blank suited to fit your style of casting whether its pendulum, modified pendulum, or any other. to fit your fishing style from finese to power. then you can choose your own components guides, reelseat, ect. the list goes on

crazy for the most part you're right the catfish market doesn't offer a rod rated for that the common thinking is if you have to cast that much lead you're better off staying home. look at the surf market especially here in the northeast. bass pro makes a rod called the ocean master its rated for 16oz but it'll cost 150ish dollars. if you want a custom that can do the same thing (i hope you're sitting down) you can get a custom 1509 for about 300 depending on the components you choose.

bacardipr05 2 piece customs are pretty easy to find its 1 piece rods that can be a challenge.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks Mr Edwards I am just going by the few rod builders that posted on the BoC (sponsors) seems like they only offer 1 piece rods. I thought of buying one but always heard it would be very expensive.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Not having to peel that sticker off that says "NOT MADE IN THE U.S.A."

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Mark,
    The rod's I use now are custom. 12oz sinkers is nothing to them.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    My Catfish Safari rods will lob 12oz without much trouble. They're a great choice when you want a USA-made rod that's designed specifically for catfishing but can't stomach the $150 price tag of a true custom-built job.

12. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    I have been looking around recently and like bacardiI have not been able to find 2 piece custom rods. I do really like the the safri rods but they are 1 piece as well. If anyone does know where I can get 2 piece custom rods let me know. Thanks!!

13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    First I'd talk to our custom rod sponsers about building a 2 piece rod like I wanted. If they are unable to build one then I'd check with Custom Rod Builders Guild, they have listing for custom rod makers from all over the U.S., Canada, and the United Kingdom.

14. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well if someone has no clue what they want, talking to a custom builder about where and how they fish can help guide them to the right rod. Also if someone is looking into getting a custom rod its because they want something different for one reason or another.

$75 can also be a lot of money when a $30 rod can solve the same problem but thats not the point.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    good points, I don't think I know enough about it to know what I want, and don't have enough experience with different rods to make a comparison. I figure a rod maker would be able to give good advice and help select the options. He can explain all of the uses and pro's and cons of them. I have been thinking about it, I've caught good size fish on crappie rods, and on medium light fishing rods, I'm thinkin light or medium light salt water gear would be good too. its in the fishing, not the pole

16. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    my custom rods do not exceed 100.00 i promise take alook at them

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    what about the 8'ers?:tounge_out:

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Two piece rods are ok for some things but, when fighting a large fish you need leverage. With a two piece rod you add length which is great for casting distance but, you loose leverage (the very thing you need). You can't give me a two piece rod, any time you put two pieces of anything together it creates a weak point and, I don't want anything to give in the fight!!!

19. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Good Answer JW, That would be rough to hook into the fish of a life time and have the rod break right in the middle and lose it.

20. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Me and probably half the Boc doesnt have boats though.Ill kick in the extra bucks if our sponcers will design a 2 piece rod for us guys who bank fish 60 percent of the time.