Custom fishing rod building

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by copycat, Aug 2, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I always wanted to build a custom rod, Can anyone offer some insight on this? Where the best place to get rod blanks and guides ETC. I would like to find a supplier that someone here has used and recommends, Thanks for any help!

2. The simplest way to look around is just to type in "fishing rod blank" in a search engine and it will surely bring up a lof of sites to choose. I saw quite a bit of kits on ebay as well.

3. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    Sent ya some info hope it helps. It is a great way to relax.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Wheres Gator when we need him? Jim answered a lot of ?'s that i had.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The first thing I would do is recomend a book called Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemmons.
    This book is a must read before you build a rod. It will make the process 100% easier and above all give a good understanding how the mechanics of a rod work.

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ebay has a few items, but watch the shipping charges. mudhole.com has lots of stuff you need like blanks, eyes, epoxy, finish, butts, reel seats, etc.
    flexcoat.com is a good starting point as well.

7. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Janns net craft has alot of rod building supplies..you can even buy blanks from brands like St.Croix and G loomis.
    i have never bought rod building material from them but i did alot of business with them when i use to make fishin lures and was never let down by there service. good luck

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Like MarkJ said, Dale Clemmons is a good info source.

I got a video of his building rods many yrs ago and then purchased the custom rod building book.

There's some equipment required to do the job. Start small and add on if you like doing it. Do the research first.

For an easy start, you might try a kit from Cabelas.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I am gathering the stuff and tools to build old style cane rods and found a company called Mud Hole that might suit you. Hope this helps you out some. I think its www.mudhole.com but not entirely sure.

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    As Mark said its a must read and very helpful. Soak up as much info as you can and just take it step by step. Dont rush it! There are a few very good rod building forums and sites out there.

Good luck and post some pics when you finish it!:smile2: