Custom Catfish Abu's vs. 6500 c3's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by DH84, Feb 22, 2009.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    So im wondering if there is really much difference b/t the two reels.. all the specs seem to be the same with the custom being about $10 more. Is it just a 6500c3 with a catfish on it and a power handle?

i like the customs better with the power handle, and its cheaper then buying a c3 and a power handle but am i getting as good a quality as the c3?

2. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Rob, I have both. I like them both and they seem the same quality. I didn't think I'd like the power handle, but once I got it in my hands I'm liking it. I'd go with the LIMITED EDITION "GREEN CAT" they are sweet! Good Luck, Tim

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If the specs are the same like you say,, ratio, drags etc, then the unit with the power handle, and catfish logo, sounds like a pretty good buy...

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    This is the only difference I could find on the 6500 series

• 2 Shielded Stainless Steel Bearings
    • 1 Instant Anti Reverse Roller Bearing
    • Precision Swedish Brass Gears
    • Carbon Matrix Drag
    • Chemical Nickel Coated Levelwind System
    • Six Pin Centrifugal Braking System
    • Line Out Alarm

Model Line Cap. Lbs/Yds Gear Ratio Weight
    6500C3 Camo 14/245 5.3:1 11.3 oz

.............................................................................................
    • 2 Shielded Stainless Steel HPCR Bearings
    • 1 Corrtec treated Anti Reverse Bearing
    • Carbon Matrix Drag System
    • Syncronized Levelwind
    • 4 pin centrifugal brake
    • Centrifugal Spool Control
    • High torque stainless steel gearing
    • Anti-distortion spool
    • Line Out Alarm (clicker)
    • Made In Sweden

Model Line Cap. Lbs/Yds Gear Ratio Weight
    6500C3 Inshore 14/245 5.1:1 13.4 oz

......................................................................................................
    6500KCC
    Blue
    Catfish/Sideplate 14/245 5.3:1 11.3 oz
    2 Shielded Stainless Steel Ball Bearings 6500KCC)
    • 1 Instant Anti Reverse Roller Bearing 6500KCC)
    • Aluminum V Shaped Spool
    • Smooth Powerful Multi Disc Star Drag
    • Six Pin Centrifugal Braking System
    • Centrifugal Spool Control
    • Synchronized Levelwind
    • Preision Brass Gears
    • Line Out Alarm
    • Blue/Chrome Color With Engraved Catfish (6500KCC)
    .............................................................................................................
    6500C3
    GAR-0070 3, BEARINGS, 14/245 LINE, 5.3:1 GEAR, Yes= LINE ALARM, 11.3 WEIGHT
    New to the C3 series is the smoother and stronger Carbon Matrix Drag, improved chemical nickel-coated levelwind system, six-pin centrifugal brake, and stronger brass gears.

Their is a black catfish model somewhere, But I could not find it at this time,I'll post if I do.:wink:

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Rob I'm not sure which custom reel your talking about, cause you can get into some money on custom reels by abu. But I will tell you I just bought the 6500cp catfish pro rocket (black & chrome) from cc and it comes with both handles, power & paddle. The reel has custom on it, not really sure why to tell you the truth. But I will tell there isn't much of a price difference between the 6500c3 and the 6500cp. You get a 20.00 rebate with the 6500cp plus two handles. In my opinion the 6500cp is a little better than the 6500c3, you get two casting controls, a little better clicker, and a chrome frame. Other than that the specs are the same, don't get me wrong you can't go wrong with either reel. I have both and then some, I like abus alot. Oh and some of the guys I used to fish with liked the power handles better, because they held up better. I would have to agree with them.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heah!!! Bro- Mike found it. Thats the Black Cat I was looking for..LOL:smile2::smile2:
    I agree the power handle does improve your winching retreive. easier on the wrist:wink:

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The pro rockets have different bearings in them too, or do they not do that any more? I have several 6500c3's and a 6500cp from CC. I will tell you this on the same poles and the same line and the same weight the 6500CP casts better and has more distance to it than the standard 6500c3's

8. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Well i bought a 6500 blue cat and a 6500 big game last year from CC, ive been impressed with both, but havent really had a chance to test them out thoroughly, prob been out a dozen or so times and so far so good.

Im looking at the green cat right now, and with the $15 rebate it makes it that much better. Just curious about some differences in those and the C3's. I really like the power handle and would prefer it over the paddle for catfishing.

One thing i saw that i liked better on the big game was the clicker switch being metal over plastic like on the custom catfish reels and the C3's, just seemed like it would hold up better.

So I think im gonna order a green cat this week.

9. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    lord if you could cast a Pro Rocket farther then my Custom Blue C3 type reel then im not gonna even need the boat anymore! I bet i can get 75 yards out of that reel with a 3oz bottom rig!