Custom Anchor Light

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BKS72, Mar 18, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I found this little skull doo-dad out in the yard one day last summer or the summer before. It was cool looking, so I threw it on a shelf in the garage and forgot about it until I happened across it the other day while I was pondering how I was going to do my anchor light.

After some thought, I made a fiberglass resin mold of the original, put my lights in it, and poured it full of epoxy. That was a miserable failure:sad2:

I was about to give up on it, but I decided to get some plaster of Paris and make a new mold. I made the mold, added my lights, and poured the 'poxy in it.

Lo and behold, this one came out. I sanded the imperfections with a pad on the die grinder, misted it with white paint, and did a little detail work with black paint to make it look a little neater.:wink:

I still have to drill out the eye sockets and add a couple of more bright white LEDs, but pix of the 95% finished product are attached.

Oh, the LEDs came out of one of those hat-bill lights, I was too cheap to pay the $5 each that RadShack wanted for white lamps and too impatient to order cheaper ones online, so I de-soldered the lamps off of the board in the headlamp after checking the voltage draw and used those for my lights. Came to about $.70 a light:smile2:

Cell phone is in the pix to give an idea of the size.

Enjoy!

Branden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    And here he is with his "eyes" in - that makes 6 superbright white LEDs. 4 wired in series embedded in the epoxy and 2 wired separately with a 330 Ohm resistor each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    looks really cool, thanks for the pics!!!!

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Looks good, Westie...:smile2:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That ought to scare the bugs off, lol.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Gary, I've got the mold sitting in the garage, lemme know if you want one for the new rig:wink:

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa

I would think that will scare about anything off!!LOL You shouldn't have to worry about anyone fishing too close to you.LMAO

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Good stuff Branden looks great

9. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    now thats funny stuff branden ,now you need a motorcycle headlight in front:smile2:

10. chris dornbusch

chris dornbusch New Member

State:
    iowa
    You should sell that to catfishkenny.Hes got some on his motor.:big_smile:

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, I figured after seeing Kenny's "fishing flag" one if these would look good on the ol' river raider:big_smile:

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Pretty cool stuff Branden! Not sure about the two-mile visibility thing but cool regardless.

I know where you can get some expanding mold rubber that will swell and you can then recast your outer mold around the larger size and make a HUGE one. The longer you let it soak the bigger it gets. It's cool stuff!

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm not sure on it either, but it's hard to tell when it's sitting in the garage:smile2: I'll check it out at a buddy's house before too long, his drive way is a mile long and you can see the road from his place, so I'll park it by the road and see if I can see the lights from his living room:smile2: If it's not bright enough I'll make up something different or just get a regular light and put an LED light bulb in it.:wink:

14. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That does look pretty cool indeed but I wouldn't use it as your white all-around stern light. While a plain light certainly don't look as cool, they are for your's and everyone around you's SAFETY. I ain't trying to rain on your parade, just want a Brother to be safe.

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Point taken and I'll check it out to make sure it's bright enough and if not, I'll use something else. Thanks for lookin' out,

Branden

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Cool looking light. Probably not legal for use as the all-round white anchor light, but when's the last time anyone saw the Coast Guard or Water Patrol on the Missouri River... :roll_eyes:

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Mr.T.......Are you going to change your avatar photo with the first fish you catch in the NEW BOAT???????? I know I would........no matter how big or small the catfish was, I would just want to get that pretty boat in the picture!!!:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

18. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Very nice!
    If you get em brighter and you r selling them I just might be in!

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I think it's going to be pretty close to legal - it lights up the entire basement when I was fooling with it down there. You gotta remember, in the pics you don't see the "glow", just the brightest points of light due to the way the camera takes the pix.

Also, on the river on a dark night, it doesn't take a whole lot of light to be visible for a mile or two. I think I'll add a couple of more LEDs and call it good.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I don't think Brandon has to worry. If I was the water patrol, and I saw a glowing severed head floating suspended above the river, I'd probably give it a pretty wide berth.