current

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cmartin4538, May 26, 2008.

1. Cmartin4538

Cmartin4538 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    In the past week it has rained alot which heas caused the current to become stronger, i was woundering what is the best was to deal with strong current so it dosent affect your catfishing?:big_smile:

2. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Find backwater or current breaks and throw your line downstream. I like to fish closer to the banks in stronger current.

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    try fishing feeder creeks or anything that blocks the current. or you can fish an eddy area. the stronger the current the more the fish will try to get out of it so the won't waste energy.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I like to fish close to the bank when the river is rippin.

Just flip you bait out 5 to 10 feet and wait.

Also look for back-eddys, current breaks, and any structure that diverts current.

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    also when the river is up and current is strong try fishing anything that usually isn't in the water or is now underwater. like trees along the bank, buat docks, barges, etc. fish will move shallower at this time so give these spots a try.

6. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    Try to use breakaway rigs that use a lighter mono to connect the weight to the main line, this will allow the weight to fall between the rocks and hold the bottom better. I agree with Blacky too, the fish arent way out there in the heavy current it seems that they sit just offshore in only a few feet of water at night. They skirt the bank where all the smaller fish hide to get out of the main current. I have caught 45" fish 5 feet from shore. Just look for a little backwater and let it sit it is only a matter of time till a big one bites. They feed in less than 2 feet of water sometimes.