current

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by liltroy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    wow the rivers are high around here in salina tried to get on but to much current and no bank to fish or maybe im just getting older and not takin so many risks

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Is there still access to the Smokey Hill River at Indian Park? It's been 13 years since I lived there, but we used to pull some nice flatheads out of the Smokey at Indian Park, especially after high water. The flats get trapped in the big pools and sit there till next high water. I have seen #50 flatheads pulled out of there. They used to have metal stairs going down the cliff so you could fish it. I used to set on the rocks in the middle of the river and fish the pools. I used to catch gills at Lakewood park and then head over to the Smokey.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i enjoy fishing the heavy water myself,find yourself a dead spot in it and fish there,or just within feet from the bank

4. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Tom,
    Its not May 15 yet though. Don't you have to wait til then to catch the fish? :smile2::smile2:

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Anybody fish behind the concrete pillars of bridges?

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    ive tried without success. one would think they would be there to get out of the current

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I thought the same thing but I've never had any luck their, never seen boats anchored around them. I have seen one homeless guy that always fishes by one but tent city is right behind him, so he may just be too drunk to walk to his better spots:smile2:

8. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    If you have a bunch of brush collected around the pillars they can be good.The only fish I caught in the last tournament was around a pillar/brushpile.I know there's a guide on the Mississipi at St. Louis that fishes the scour holes behind the pillars. I was supposed to go out with him a couple years ago but got cancelled out.It would take some serious weight to stay out there right now.Need to get out and catch some more crawlers tonight.go to where these tributaries are running in and throw a 5/0 J hook with 6-8 nightcrawlers on it. You can't do that with store bought worms unless you're rich.

9. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    WHEN THEY'RE LETTING HIGH AMOUNT OF OF WATER OUT OF THE LAKES I'LL FISH THE END OF THE WING WALLS IN THE SLACK POCKET OF WATER BEHIND THEM AND CHANCES ARE IF YOU CATCH ANYTHING IT'S GONNA BE OF QUALITY SIZE:wink: