Current WV Catfish Records

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by catfishguy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Current Catfish records copied directly from the WVDNR website. Some of the records are very obtainable. I know what my goals are for next year!!!:wink:

Catfish

Blue
    2005 Length 36.5 Weight 24.37 Ohio River Sam Morrison

Bullhead
    1977 Length 22.75 Weight 6.1 Tygart Lake Headwaters Gary R. Freeman

Channel
    2005 Length 40.3 Weight 33.42 Patterson Creek Michael Sears

Flathead
    1956 Length 52.0 Weight 70.0 Little Kanawha River L. L. McCLung

2. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Caught on May 5th 2008
    A state record blue catfish was caught by Chad Bright of Henderson in Mason County. He caught the 36.85-inch, 27.2-pound fish from Krodel Lake in Mason County using a live crayfish. Bright’s catch establishes a new West Virginia record for weight and length.

3. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I guess they need to upgrade their site. They are usually a year behind. Thanks for the info though.

4. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    hey i don't know 2 yrs ago a guy c
    aught a 65lb flat out of guyandott river:wink:

5. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I want my name on that list! I have one question. On the DNR website it lists all these restrictions on catch and release. You can only have so many fish in your possession, you can only have them out of the water for so long, blah, blah, blah. My question is how do you even get a state record fish weighed and recognized as a state record. If they want you to release the fish, there is no way to get it officially weighed. Anybody able to make sense of it for me?

6. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mankind, couldn't you have stuffed some sinkers in the belly of the flattie?! Five dollars worth of sinkers = new state record!:wink:

7. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I found that on the dnr website in the current news section.
    The only way I know to get a record verified and still release the fish is to have a livewell. Unless you can get the dnr or a game biologist to come right out to where your fishing.

8. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    So, until I get a boat, I'm kind of screwed if I do catch a big fish. That's reason enough for me to get a boat.:smile2:

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have kept large fish around 40 lbs alive for hours on end using a nylon stringer.I even transported a 48 inch Flathead from Kan River all the way to a private impoundment in Roane county once and it lived.

10. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    they are a hardy fish if you keep them cool you can transport a good ways:wink: