Current Cape Fear Conditions...

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by dihardhunter, Sep 15, 2005.

1. dihardhunter

dihardhunter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey ya'll, I've been reading this forum for a couple months but this is the first post I've made. I have had some successful forays onto the Neuse earlier this year, but as you all know...anywhere between Smithfield and Goldsboro there is a shortage of water to be found. My buddy and I (both students at NCState) are going to the Cape Fear this weekend, and I just wanted to know if the water conditions are going to be calm enough for a 14 foot john boat to survive. We haven't got much rain at all here in Raleigh (less than an inch) but I know that hasn't been so everywhere. I think we are going to put in at Fayetville or within 20 miles thereabouts. Haven't made a final decision yet. But yea, just wanted to have some verification that the water isn't going to be a disaster area for small crafts this weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

2. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    water has come up some here at lock and dam #2 but that should only make the cats eat more. we needed the water bad. if like come on down to elizabethtown and be more than happy to show you were to go and what to use. i give you any and all the help you should need. there are great spots in fayettville but i dont fish there much any more. and a lot of nice spots below lock #3. try and find a creek that feeds in and fish above or below it. cats should be near. good luck!!!

3. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Dihard, cape fears a great place to fish.
    Tristan and mark know a lot about the area around fayetteville.Then you've got loc#1 for Mike H. and Bobpaul. Joe knows the area there at E-town.
    Good luck and be safe bro.

4. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    The water should be just right around fayettville i fish the cape ALL THE TIME and the havent really been biteing around riverside but if you go to lock 3 which is only 20 mins away you will have to beat them off with a stick. im going there this weekend so maybe we could meet up some time just give me a holler.Good luck!!!

5. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    went to avents ferry last night it almost seemed like the dam at jordan was turned off no water flow at all plus it was full moon which equals one sucky night but was nice just to be on the river hope that they are biting monday night at riverside

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    joe how far is it between lock 2 and lock 3 can you travel by water to both places

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Roundhill, Yes you could in a perfect world.LOL
    The rules and regs say you can "lock thru" but getting it done is a whole nother thing.

8. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    we took a boat that had a 125 ob it and made it from lock 2 to lock 3 in just under an hour wide open. i would not advise this for many people because you have to know the river well and what is comeing up. but you have about 30 miles of river to fish and some really nice spots for large blues and flats. you can lock through the locks during the weeks but on weekends you need at least 3 boats. they dont mind helping you but they only have one lock master right now because one is back on active duty in military and other is at home because of car accident. ok . well if you need more help just ask.