Current and blue catfishing ?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by wolfman, Oct 23, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The more seasoned blue catters are always talking about needing more current for better fishing when targeting blue cats. What does more current do to produce better fishing? How does it effect blue cat patterns?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Excellant question. I hear the same thing all the time. Do we really need to know or should we just go with it. LOL!

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I really need to know...I really really do. lmao

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Blue cats are pigs and always looking for a easy quick meal. Whenever our local rivers get some good current it's stirs eveything up and puts more food in the river. There's more nutrients being pushed into the water that plankton eat...then the shad move upstream eat the plankton and the blue cats eat the shad. There's also other good morsels and tibit's being washed into the river and just makes for good fishing. We have long periods of little or no current in my rivers and this get the fish more concentrated in larger numbers in the usual good fishing spots. When there's no current the fish are more dispersed. Also in the springtime the prespawn is going strong, strong current will continue to push them farther and more fish upstream....more opportunites to catch more fish. :big_smile:

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    heavy current in the winter time will make the big blues head up river in lakes plus it will stack them in small holes thus making for a easy target when marked on the graph. mark them pull ahead and anchor and cast back to them. give them 30-60 minutes and move depending on the bite.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Now that is an explanation. Kinda like when we get home from food shoppin. Ya got all that good stuff in the house and ya go to town. LOL!

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think blue cats are more likely to move around searching for food during periods of increased current, because blues are more successful finding food then. Blues rely on their senses of smell and taste far more than sight, so they are very efficient hunters at night and/or when the current is up and the water is muddy. Skipjack and other baitfish have big ol' eyes that could easily spot a big cat in clear water but probably couldn't see a blue a foot away in muddy water, but that blue cat can probably smell them. I read an article about a tracking study on blues that said evertime a big water release came from the dam, most of the blues traveled upstream into the current towards the dam. This was probably because of more chopped or stunned fish coming thru the dam, and old big blues have been around long enough to figure it out. I think blues are just very mobile, especially in current. From personal experience, I've had more sucess on TN River lakes when the upstream and downstream dams are releasing water at the same time, causing at least a small current through the lake. I much prefer anchoring over drifting (lazy I guess), so this situation just suits my style of fishing better. If fish are actively feeding and moving, then I can just anchor and wait on them. I think there is something to the notion that blues bite better in current, these are just some reasons I think they do. (I really need to learn to type, this 2 finger method is just too slow):smile2:

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    For me current puts the big blues where there easy to catch. Also with good current they are facing the current waiting on the food to wash to them.
    So the way I fish controlled drift fishing this caused them to hit hard and fast. When a bait comes by them its moving and that causes them to strike like a bass. There pigs so they try to get each and every piece of food that comes by them.
    So for me current sets the fish up and makes it easy to fish I have no problem even fishing high winds if theres fast current as the current helps hold the boat also.
    So for me I love to fish in current that others cry and go home or the lake.
    Pete

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i catch alot of blues here when they open up the spill way to about half its capacity. This puts alot of water in a little space which i think beats up alot of shad. They flow on down and the blues are about 100yrds downstream just stacked up in the holes that give cover from the current. We will go through 5gals of 4-5"shad fishing in these conditions.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i think everyone has a good idea whats going on. big fish stuck in deeper holes have more room to roam, bait gets beat up or killed in the harder current, rising water washes bugs and what not out of the grass, the high water backs up creeks making hot spots, spots that may look unteresting in low current may get just the right swirl in high water causing a current break for cruisers. all this stuff probally means more to bank fishermen on smaller rivers than boaters on bigger rivers.

11. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i fish a shallow free flowing river here at home avg depth 5 ft with some 20 ft holes.when the river is down in the summer months the sandbars cut the channel to narrow slits in places. i have learned that the long deep holes where the water is sluggish will harbor few fish. but i have caught some nice blues in as little as two feet of water where the river narrows to slits and has a strong current. my biggest fish from this river, a 35 lb'er was caught in a narrow slit maybe 10ft wide and 7 ft deep with water so swift that my trolling motor would not hold my boat in a slow drift. i just rushed through this slit and he grabbed my bait. after i thought about this spot i realized that it was the most perfect spot on that stretch of river for him to be to ambush anything coming down the river at him.

12. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This is what I am glad I joined the BOC, I just learned more in 5 minutes than I would have learned in years of trying to fish myself.