Curious About Fur Prices

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by festus, Aug 27, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I haven't trapped since the 1960's and 1970's, when my grandfather was still living. We trapped this one river for mink and muskrat. The money came in handy in those days.

Just wondering, what's the average price for a beaver, muskrat, or mink pelt? There's plenty of them left in my area, but I really don't intend to trap them. Beaver were unheard of in this area while we were trapping, but nowadays they are plentiful, even to the extent of creating nuisances.

Is it even worth the effort anymore? Just curious.

2. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Not exactly up to date on current fur prices myself, but last I heard was past couple of years fur prices have been way down for everything but perfect pelts. Be interesting to see if anyone else is pretty current on it and see what the deal really is.

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Last season was dismal and looks like this year will be as bad or worse. Don't let anyone tell you the prices are going to be up this, because it just isn't so. Russia is almost out of the market because of their economy and China is not much better. The NAFA fur auction house sold fur at end of last season at almost wholesale prices ... China bought a lot of cheap fur then and don't see them running head long into any up markets this year. NAFA is also still holding over 240,000 coon from last year .... Probably a good year to sit it out .........

Garry- :cool2:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with Garry on the market prices, looks like another off season. I will not sit it out though, I have to keep up with damage control for some of the farms I have permision to trap. I sure don't want to loose any lands to trap because some day the price will go up again. With less people trapping this is a good time to increase your trap line for when times are good. Just let the farmers know the fur market is in the tank but you still will trap to help them out and they can help you by being there when the market is better. I will get what I catch tanned and just keep them again this year for my personal use, the teddy bears from last years fur has been a big hit with everyone who has saw them, I may have to get some more made this season.

5. festus

festus New Member

Yes, the state of Tennessee stocked beaver in some of the reclaimed coal strip mine quarries several years ago and they have spread like wildfire. They eat people's shrubbery and gardens. Last year they got most of my neighbor's Silver Queen corn just as it was ripening. They used the stalks in their dam. I learned long ago not to put my garden on the creekbank.

Actually, there's much more wildlife right now than I can ever remember. Ground hogs, raccoon, fox, beaver, mink, coyote, whitetails, bear, and even cougars. People don't eat ground hog and raccoons like they used to. I've eaten 'coon but never tried ground hog. If I was a deer hunter, it would be too easy. I could go to my mother's house and shoot a deer out of her backyard through my old bedroom window. Ditto for fox. AND SHE LIVES IN THE CITY!

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i dont know really i had a decent avg. last year on late season coon and had a few top lots out of it so its hard to say what is going to happen. i wiill trap and let chips fall where they may i geuss

7. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The U.S. economy, although weak (OK extra weak), is great compared to Russia and China, which are the major buyers for fur. It will be a down year. Probably the only way to show a profit will be for those who live in the west and have a decent supply of bobcat. Coon will be high enough to no get beat up too bad; but you would probably operate at a loss, the same with mink. Everything else will SUCK. These days, the only reason to run a trap line is for the enjoyment, certainly not to feed your family.

8. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I called a buyer of mine the other day. Here's his idea's for early season for stretched and dried hides, XL and above. Coons $3,Rats $3,Mink $5, reds $5,greys $5, Beaver $5, big silver badger $10 others $1 or so. Yotes $0, dont want'em. We're planning/hoping to run a rat line. Have to try and thin the yotes. Buyer thinks fur may have an upswing, limited catch is most likely. Some buyers are stepping out of the business this year. I think in '10 fur will be up 50%-100% from whatever the closing prices are this fall.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you can sell mounted animals in your state have any of you guys thought of selling the hides to a taxidermist? I know a guy who trapped last year and was selling mounted stuff on Ebay and was making a killing.

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I talked with one of the big auction house people yesterday and they don't know about any markets or how they may develope. There will possibly be some salvageble markets in the XX & XXX Select markets of various animal. FHA is holding 100,000 muskrats and NAFA is holding over 250,000 coon ... no demand for fox, coyotes, coon, beaver or wild mink.
    So if you are panning on trapping to make money, you might as well seel your traps for what you can get out of them. If you are trapping for fun or pleasure ... Please in enjoy yourself and don't worry about the money you probably aren't going to make.

Garry-

11. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Theres been a upswing of sorts according to my buyer. 'Rats are going to have a decent market with prices starting out around $3. Badger are improving also with possible top end of $30 for the big pales and some bringing more but the majority will be $1-$5. Mink still $5, possibly a little more. Beaver $7-$10, coon $5 and he's seen the price advance a little lately. Possum have advanced too with some bringing $3-$5? Red fox $15(!), greys $10. Skunks are plugging along at around $3-$5 too. No market for our yotes at this time. He asked if we were going to run a line in Missouri this year because he thinks the otter market will improve, opening at around $30 and he said if things hold as they are right now he could see them advancing to $40-$50 easy.

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    just remember those prices are for perfect,prime,well put up fur. any lower grade of fur will be almost worthless. Those high dollar badger are one in a hundred that might make the cut for example. Not trying to discourage you, just don't go in expecting those prices except on perfect critters,the coon (for example) season might last for 3 months,but the hides are at their best for only 2 to 3 weeks during that time. Do it for fun and don't worry about the money, if your doing it for the money,I'm afraid you'll be disappointed this year. Funny thing is,is that for the russian market to improve,the oil prices have to go up(their #1 export) which would increase their economy enough for them to jump back into the fur buying harder,but would also bring back 4 dollar a gallon gas for us,right now its a lose lose situation.