Curious about Deer Creek

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Churningthemaelstrom, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Churningthemaelstrom

Churningthemaelstrom New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I was wondering if anyones ever caught any big cats out of the spillway there? I've seen people pull some beasts out of there and I've seen pictures, but everytime me and my buddy go, we stay for 15 to 20 hours and never get them and we've been there a lot this summer.

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    im not familiar with deer creek at all........but thats a lot of time spent for no reward.....what kinda baits have u tried?? what river does the spillway run out to???

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Churningthemaelstrom same here Ive seen pics but Ive never seen a biggun pulled out there.

4. Churningthemaelstrom

Churningthemaelstrom New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    We use cut bait and live bait. Goldfish, chubs and bluegill. Everybody else nails them on it, but we get ripped off everytime. We also used shrimp and some little carps. The spillway just turns into a little creek eventually, but the Big Darby runs around deer creek and I think it branches into it somewhere. I'm not sure. I'm probably going to go out there again tonite and see what's up.

Hopefully pictures aren't the only way for me to see them. :cursing:

5. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've seen a huge cat pulled at the spillway before. It was about 6-7 years ago & I was whitebass fishing. I saw a guy struggling with a fish right up near the wall. The water was cranking pretty good and he fought with it for
    almost 10 minutes. His buddy hopped in the water (right on the rocks) and lifted the beast out.

Nobody around had a scale and this guy was NOT fishing for catfish (I think he was after saugeye). It was an easy 20 pounds; I'd guess 22-24lbs. Now for the big part - IT WAS A CHANNEL!!!!

To this day that is the largest channel cat I have ever seen in person (my 2 buddies also). We were completely blown away by the siize of this thing. It was released too.

I rarely hear of a channel caught that goes over 15 lbs. & I don't catch many over 10lb in the OH lakes I fish. My best is a 15.7lb, but it came from the OH river.

This was truly a trophy channel cat.

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    sounds like ur doing everything right .......maybe just at the wrong spots?? i dont know......if i were more familiar with deer creek i would help u out

7. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Best spot I know on Deer creek is of Old 207. Bring a cast net with you and you'll never run out of bait. I just take the shad and pinch their heads of and throw them out into the channel. Its great for the channels but probably not for the flatties. Course I mostly catfish for the food. Anyway we usually catch quite a few of good eating size channels.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Every know & then you will hear stories & see pics of Spoonbills being caught below the dam.