Curing Rack for livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Leakyboat, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Didn't have much to do last night,so i made a couple of racks for curing liver.I'm going to put a couple of hinges on them,where it will be easiser to open and shut them.
    Had a fellow tell me he put wax paper down on his and then just flips the livers over,keeps it where he can use some of the excess garlic,and salt.
    Will see if they work!
    Ernie

Attached Files:

2. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Hey Ernie thats a good idea. Is that just regular window screen that you used? I definitely need to make something like that. Never heard about putting salt on them. i just use garlic powder.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's the salt that does the actual curing. The garlic powder, anise, vanilla, or whatever is there for added flavor/scent.

Be sure to use NON-iodized salt!

4. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    What kind of liver do you use ?
    How do you prepare them.
    I never heard of curing livers.
    I guess it toughen them up.
    :confused:

5. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey Mark,
    Its aluminum screen,about 1/4" mesh.I'm going to put some wax paper down to keep them from sticking.A friend of mine has his this way.I never
    cured them before,always used them fresh.We'll see hoe they turn out.Ernest,i use chicken livers!I think some people use turkey and beef livers also.
    Ernie

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Recipes & directions are posted in the library.

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Ernie is that mesh something that you can get a any hardware store? Livers are the main thing I use and turning them one by one is a pain in the butt. I really need to build me one of them.
    You cure yours in the sun? If so How long do you leave them out? I left mine out about two hrs. I don't think that was long enough.
    Ernest I also use chicken livers but I would bet that any liver would work.

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Ernie, plans and materials please. LOL Then post it in the library. Looks great Ernie.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    leakyboat the wax paper works good. That is what I used when I cured some a few day ago and I saved a tone of salt and still smells loud to.:)

I like the rack. Like whistler said materials and measurements please.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    During the summer, in the hot sun, about 3 or 4 hours on each side does the trick for me. Once, when rain moved in and I had to move the livers into my game room, it took most of a week.
    Seems like some old chromed metal refrigerator shelves would work well. Let the air get to both sides of the liver at the same time, reducing the curing time.

11. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I have a couple of pictures up close,I'll post.Try to get them up tommorrow.I got the mesh wire at the little lumber yard we have here in town.I also have some hinges that i'm going to put on them. Ernie

12. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey Bryan,
    I basically made it out of materials i had.You can change it up to fit your needs,bigger or smaller.I used some 1"x 2" pine trim,some aluminum mesh wire or what ever you prefer,stapler,and piano hinge(its' what i had)the regular
    little hinges, they have two to a pack will work.I made the wood frame 34" X 32",there's not really much to it,staple the wire to it,trim the wire,put your hinge's on,thats it.I put wax paper down where the liver wont' stick to the wire,punch some hole in the paper,that will let the juice drain out.Then flip the livers over.
    Ernie

Attached Files:

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good idea Ernie
    I do mine on a old cookie sheet tilted so the juice drains into a container. I save the juice to chum with. My problem has allways been the flys will get on the liver. The screen idea should solve that.
    Thanks for shareing it!

14. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Didn't think about saving the juice,but i will now.Good idea!
    Ernie

15. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Seeing that I don't have much to do these, I might just make me one this weekend. Tournaments coming up in April and I can get some livers curing so I'll be ready for it when it's time. Thanks for the idea ernie.

16. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Do you think that this rack would work for curing blood?

In the early spring, I go to the local beef processor and purchase 10 or 15 gallons of fresh beef blood in 5 gallon pails. By the time I get it home, it's begun to congeal nicely.

I allow it to sit for a few hours until the blood curd completely separates from the sides of the bucket. I pour this tender, jello-like curd carefully out into a large plastic tub and cut it into slices about 1/2" to 3/4" thick, then cut it into cubes. Drain off the fluid from the tub, then allow the blood to sit and give up more fluid overnight. Drain.

Place the blood onto a rack to cure, sprinkling the surface lightly with equal parts of brown sugar and non-iodized salt. Add flavorings such as garlic or basil at this time as desired.

(For a real experiment, add small ammounts of crushed, dried jalepeno pepper. If you try this, please send me a report on the results for my records.) I added 2 tablespoons of crushed dried jalepeno pepper to 5 gallons of blood, and the catfish loved it!

Dry the blood until it is the consistancy of soft leather. Watch it carefully for if the blood should dry out too far, it becomes too brittle to use for hookbait.

Good fishing!

17. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I use a 2x8x6 set out int the sun. I set the board at an angle so that the juice can drain off. Just turn them every now and then. Wind will also dry them almost as fast as the sun. When they are done I add more salt to the container that I store them in. Just take the hose to the board to clean it.