curing chicken livers Whats the best method?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Katfish-hunter, May 18, 2006.

1. Katfish-hunter

Katfish-hunter New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    What's the best method or recipe for curing livers? And is it possible to cure them with a dehydrator. Any ideas would help. Thanks

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I drain them and then add a lot of garlic salt and put them pack in the tub over night. The next day I lay them out on a board in the sun and add more salt. I turn them every couple of hours until they are a little stiff. Put them back in the tub, you can freeze them or leave them in the fridge for as long as you want. The can be refrozen as may time as you want.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I cut the livers into bait sized pieces, then coat them well with garlic powder and NON-iodized salt (anise can be used in place of garlic). Lay them out in the sun for half a day or so on each side if it's hot & sunny; a full day, or even a couple, on each side may be needed if it's pretty cool. I prefer to cure the livers till they are the consistency of well done steak, or even a piece of hard cured beef jerky. I don't know about the other methods, but freezing isn't required---they will keep in the fridge for well over a year. Actually, I don't know just how long they would last in the fridge, because that's just the longest I've ever had any before they got used up.

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I need to try this sometime when i get back. Anyways, I've heard if you use a dehydrator, it'll probably leave a permanent liver smell in it afterwards.

SudDawg

5. Katfish-hunter

Katfish-hunter New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I had mention the dehydrator because you can get a cheap one for like 20 bucks now. I have an old one in my garge doing nothing since a got a comercial type stainless one. I figure if I could make larger batches in less time that would be good. But it seems like the old tried and true methods seem to be the way to go.