Curing chicken livers, garlic salt or Lawry's Seasoned Salt?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Love Them Cats, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I was curing some livers yesterday and I was using garlic salt and Lawry's Seasoned Salt.
    I decided to try them tonight and see which they liked best.
    Well, the Lawry's Seasoned Salt won.
    We were catching a bunch of small ones, but they hit the ones with the Lawry's a lot quicker then the ones with the garlic salt.
    They would hit them even before I had a chance to set down the pole. The garlic salt livers would take a few minutes before getting a hit.

Has anyone else tried Lawry's Seasoned Salt, and did you do any good?

All the cats were real small tonight, but they were biting like crazy.

Ken

2. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    ok, I guess I am takin a stand tonight...or today I guess. You all are wastin good seasoning on this liver! I guarantee that the cats in your water will hit fresh bloody liver better or at least as good as your flavored variety.

lobbying 4 liver

egg

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Doug, I couldn't have agreed with you more until seeing so many experiences posted on these forums about the value of cured liver.

I always fish fresh livers, but I do follow these posts on cured livers with interest. I've had to admit that cured liver is a whole lot easy to handle and stays on the hook without a lot of extra netting, tying, or whatever.

Ken, I guess you'll have to add fresh livers in your next scientific study (kinda looks scientific to me!). :big_smile:

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have used both cured and plain and even some with ground cloves and found that they all have their times when they out fish the others.

5. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I thought about trying fresh liver last night, but I was having too much fun and didn't want to take the time to try them?:big_smile:

Next time I go out, I think I'm going to try all three and see what happens?

Ken

6. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    i try Lawry's on chicken, pork beef even catfish. That's some good stuff. I've always cured my livers with garlic salt. But I think I will try the lawry's tomorrow.

7. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've got some Lawry's around the house so I'll give it a try.

8. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    tried with no luck. but i didn't have any luck at all. they wheren't bitten my blue gills either.

9. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Dont forget it also could be where the cats are comiing from that pole could just be first. my brother and I both used the same bait but I was the only one who caught some just for thought next time move the poles around

10. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I don't even think about going fishing unless I have at least 6 different baits.

11. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    ya i was switchn poles annd spots. but i was bank fishn in the day. so i kinda figured i wasnt gonna have much luck. but while i was fishn for bait i hooked a nice size snappn turtle so it wasn't a total loss. I also had some danny kings but I havent gottn a nibble all summer using that stuff.