cured shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by wapita, Apr 25, 2008.

1. wapita

wapita New Member

State:
    kansas
    any one try curing shad to put in jars like you get sides

2. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Back in the day we used to catch shad, salt them down heavy in a bucket, set them in the sun. Used them for trotlining. They worked great. I suspect the salt taste had a lot to do with it. They were tough as a boot and didn't rot.

3. wapita

wapita New Member

State:
    kansas
    hey thanks shadmaster how long did you leave in sun and how long would they last if kept cold

4. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:wink:

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WELCOME TO BOC FROM ALABAMA

6. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    We used them for trotlines. We just put them in bucket, lots of salt, no water and set them out in the sun. Don't know how long they would last. We usually did that for week long outings and caught lots of cats. They will definitly stay on a hook. I guess they are pretty much cured and would be good for a long while. I never saw any rot or go soft. Most people think the shad have to be real fresh to catch anything but these salted shad worked real great. We caught, blues, channels and flatheads on them in good numbers.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    there used to be a post on here about someone drying them in the sun on a window screen. i don't know if they were exctracting the oils or toughening them up. they salted them too.