Cured Livers or Fresh Livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TheCatfishingBoy, Jul 7, 2007.

1. TheCatfishingBoy

TheCatfishingBoy New Member

State:
    NC
    Which do you think will work the best
    Cured Livers or Fresh Livers?
    :cool2:

2. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i think it can go either way, i use fresh myself, but why not have both on your hands, you can never have to much bait when it comes to cats, you never know what their taste buds are screaming that day:0a26:

3. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    I use the fresh ones. A lot less messy.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Most of the time, they'll hit the cured livers at least as well as the fresh ones. Of course, sometimes they'll only hit the cured ones, or only hit the fresh ones.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have alot luck with fresh liver, caught 28" channel last Friday.

6. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    Okay, got to ask. Just what is a cured liver? Are we talking raw chicken livers that have been left out to get rotten :confused2:

Sassy

7. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    cured chicken livers are CV left in the sun for a few hours to toughen up the texture, it stays better on the hook, just some side info, if you have problems with fresh livers staying on your hook, carry some sewing string and tie it around your liver or you can use some used panny hose, just drop the desired amount of chicken liver in the hose and slam it on that hook

i use a baited hook my self usually when i go fishing, i just hook the livers multiple times, i would say 6 to 7 to make sure it stays on , works for me

:0a26:

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Cured liver should be cured in non-iodized salt, and perhaps some garlic powder, prior to being left in the sun. The good thing about cured liver is that it keeps for a long time and generally stays on a hook a lot better.

Fresh liver usually requires a treble hook with bait holder, or some other means to hold the liver on the hook, such as thread or mesh. I stay away from panty hose, but use mesh material instead.

Welcome to the club, by the way. Sorry in advance for the avatar troubles you'll be having...(most all of us have!) :sad2:

9. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I like fresh the best used with mesh. I have been debating this subject with myself lately. I like fresh but cured does stay on the hook better.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i can tomataos, you guys can liver? can even imagine what your wife thinks about that!...correct me if im wrong.:eek:oooh: lol rollo

11. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    There is a exellent thread in the library explaining how to cure livers,they are a real good bait for channel-cats and will keep a long time if refrigerated

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I tried both on several occasions and I tend to prefer the cured ones, but theres nothing wrong with taking both. Try both and see which ones work best.

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Best to have both when fishing. Ya never know what they are hungry for.

I prefer the cured ones though.

14. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    if i had to use liver it would be fresh