Cured liver vs fresh liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by master_cat, Apr 30, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    im thinkin of making some cured liver but i dont know if its worth the troble case the fresh works prety good wats yalls thoughts on this id like to here some success storys

2. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    in my opinon fresh liver by far. seems to get the juices out quicker.
    that is for channels atleast

3. Biker RN

Biker RN New Member

State:
    southern middle TN
    I have used store bought and home made cured liver many times. Fresh liver outfishes the cured by far for me, maybe 10 to 1. Chicken, turkey, duck, goose and rabbit liver all work very well. I have NEVER caught a catfish on pork or beef liver!

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the cured liver it stays on the hook when casting without use thread or any of that mess.I bet i catch just as much if not more on the cured then the fresh.I always cure my livers first before fishing.

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Cured livers for me! Uncured is a big pain in the behind!

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I find fresh chicken liver not only attracts nice cats, but nice stripers as well. Only thing I have caught on homemade garlic liver is 2 mud cats. I dunno if my body of water is different from others, but 10 to 1 on fresk liver. Now the cured keeps for ever and is good to have on hand just in case. I weill have to say lastly, I have not fished cured liver as hard as fresh liver, so maybe I have not given cured liver a fair shot:roll_eyes:

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What is a cured liver?:confused2:

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The few times I was able to fish both side by side I didnt catch any on either one. I have caught a few cats off cured though. Ive only been using cured livers for a few months but I like it. It works great for bluegill bait. Ive also caught quite a few b@ss on cured livers. I would think it would be worth giving it a try. Cure at least 2-3 tubs and youll have it for months. Its worth a try.

9. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I drain them and then let them "soak" in garlic salt over night. The next day I set them out in the sun, turning every couple of hours. Then as I put them back in the carton I add pickling salt. They stay on the hook much better than uncured.

10. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    You can freeze and thaw them as may times as you want!

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Do the have a shelf life, or must be kept cold? I wonder if mine went bad???

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey bro,Iv tryed both and I think fresh stays on way better the other stuff is gone in one little bite.But maybe Im not useing it right????

13. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i was just tryin to figure out if they worked better i mean i dont want to waste my time making them then not even use them case the fish wont touch them

14. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Whatever stinks the most is what i'm using. lol

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have had luck with both. Always cure mine with Garlic so a little different. Never have too many baits when channel cattin.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The few times that I used liver I have had success with the fresh livers. I tried cured last summer once and had no success. but I am going to give the cured a run this summer for channels a few times and see how it goes. I did like how it stayed on the hook well

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Doyle, curing livers is a method of preserving and toughening them. Cured livers will last over a year in the fridge, and will stay on a single hook without having to use thread or cheesecloth. Fresh cut shad & skipjack or even frozen skipjack produce much better for me, but I always try to have some on hand to fall back on. I’ve seen the time when the fish wouldn’t hit anything but cured livers; and also the time when they wouldn’t hit anything but fresh liver. You should be able to find instructions for curing liver in our library.

18. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In the river I fish, Channels tear up fresh liver, but they will also hit cured liver too. In fishtrap, Cats and Hybrids go crazy over liver. I havent really caught a big cat on livers but have landed several nice hybrids.

19. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I made some cured and its dont seem to work like the fresh. I wish I could find fresh Turkey liver locally, but I will settle for chicken. Seems like evertime I go fishing they were really biting the day before. Oh well still fun.

20. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    The couple of times that I have tried cured liver, my buddies using fresh out caught me at least 5 to 1. I've kinda given up on that for now unless I can think up a new recipe.