Cured liver question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by odie072, May 7, 2006.

1. odie072

odie072 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hi. I'm new here and I would like to say this is a great site where I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I want to try the "cured chicken livers" as posted by Whistler in the library, but I have one slight problem; I live in an apartment. I was wondering if I could cure the liver mix in the oven on low heat and get the same results? Also, if I made up a couple of batches in advance, what is the best way to store for a few days, ie. in a covered bowl in the fridge or to freeze?

One last question, for those of you in middle Tennessee, where around here could I go and do some bank fishing? I've been to percy priest, but it gets kinda crowded sometimes (hate to seem unsociable, but I work elbow to elbow with people all week and would like a little "away" time). Hopefully I'll have a boat before long.

Thanks again for a great site!
    odie072:big_smile:

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    First off welcome top the BOC!

Middle Tennessee is just up the road, let me know if you find any good areas.

As for the curing in a oven - if you can put up with the smell, it should work even faster. Let us know how it turns out.

You might check the library:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184

and see if this has been discussed.

Scott

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Dwayne. If you have to use the oven, just be sure that you keep the heat very low, definitely below 150; otherwise, you'll end up cooking the livers instead of curing them. Also, you need to keep the oven door cracked open an inch or two to let the moisture escape.

4. odie072

odie072 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info, think I'll get a batch ready for this weekend. One more question, how will I know when they're ready?? If it gets to smelling to bad, I can always blame the wife's cooking.LOL:lol:

5. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Put garlic on those livers and let it soak in. All that smell will do is make you hungry.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I remember one time I started curing a batch of livers without checking the weather report, and it started raining just after I finished getting them set out. I brought them into my den (converted garage) and let them set there for 4 or 5 days till they finally cured. Yeah, as soon as the livers got cured, it quit raining. Of course!!!! :baffle:

7. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Odie ever thought of salt curing them livers? no where near the smell while curing. Also does your Apt. have a backporch or balcony? If so go to wally world and pickup a cheap dehydrater and put it out back while your at work...

8. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Another thing odie as far as bank fishing, East Fork Rec.area, Walter hill dam, and West fork are all good areas around the Murfreesboro/Smyrna area hope this helps....

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the boc!, I dont use Cured liver, I think its better fresh, because the cat is drawn by the smell of blood.

10. odie072

odie072 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks all for the replies. I'm getting back into catfishing after several years out of it. CJ21, how do you get the fresh livers to stay on? I always liked fresh to, but its a pain to keep on.

Confederate, no I haven"t tried that area yet, I'm in the Goodlettsville area (just north of Nashville). Thanks for the info though.

Sinker, I believe I will try the garlic and just use the livers fresh.

Thanks again everyone, any more info would be much appreciated.
    Odie072:boss:

11. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    as far as liver i have used beef liver, tougher and stays on the hook, i have also used cheese cloth soaked in chicken livers, and used as a wrap as well. i have heard nylons work well, haven't been able to sneak any out of the house.:big_smile: have you thought about the cumberland river and the steam plant in cumberland city? it can get a little crowded there at times, and i know what you mean by your away time. also, welcome to the BOC.

12. odie072

odie072 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    never tried beef livers, bmaultbay, may have to though. and no on the cheese cloth. but I have tried nylons before with no luck. As far as the cumberland river, yes at the dam around ashland city, but it is just too crowded. As I posted earlier, I hope to have a boat before long. If anyone knows of an older, less expensive fiberglass please let me know.

Thanks
    odie072:big_smile_2:

13. odie072

odie072 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    oops, forgot to ask, did the soaked cheesecloth work well???

odie072:big_smile:

14. Just call me C.

Just call me C. New Member

State:
    Indiana
    heres a little tip my dad taught me...if you dont like to use treble hooks, use baitholder hooks (i call them catfish hooks) the ones with the barbs on the neck. take your liver chunk/s and bait them like a night crawler (run the hook through several times). when you get it all on the hook, take a knife and cut a segment off of an old rubber worm and stickit just over the hooks barb. viola! fresh liver wont come off as easily. it will still go flying if you fling it too hard but only off the shank, not the point of the hook.:confident:

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :0a25: FRIST OF ALL WELCOME TO THE BOC. SECOND AS FAR KEEPING FRESH LIVER ON THE HOOK I ALWAYS USE SEWING THREAD. BREAK OFF A PIECE APPROX 12 IN.LONG AND JUST WRAP IT AROUND HOOK. WORKS FOR ME.:0a26:

16. odie072

odie072 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    MRR, so basically just tie the liver on the hook??

odie072:smile2:

17. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    First, welcome to the BOC. Personally, I think it's the best site on the net.

I don't use cheesecloth or nylons; I use 2X2 dressings that you can purchase at any drug store. They are cotton, with a very loose weave, and unfold to a perfect size to wrap a nice chunk of liver. Use a small rubber band around it at the top, to hold it together.

I've used both beef liver and pork liver, and haven't got a bite on them. Chicken liver is my favorite, but turkey liver works well too.

I've used sun cured livers and oven cured livers, and both work very well. But my favorite way to cure them is to cut them to the size chunks you want, place the drained chunks in a ziploc bag, add a half box of salt, and as much garlic powder as you want - zip it closed and set it on a counter for a day or so. The outside will be tough enough to cast, and the inside is still soft and bloody. No wrap needed. By the way, I've fished for many years, but had never heard of cured livers til I found the BOC. Lot of good info here.

Have a nice day.:smile2:

18. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC! Find a secret spot and leave them there

19. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Dwayne.

20. odie072

odie072 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all the info. Myname, I've got a couple of batches in bags curing in the kitchen right now. Hopefully I'll be able to try them this weekend.:006: This really is the best site/forum on the net!!

odie072:big_smile_2: