Cured Chicken Livers

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Cajun, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    I cured some chicken livers with salt and garlic then dried them in the sun and wasn't able to use them right of way so I put them in layers of corn meal to keep them form sticking together, then put them in the freezer. They should keep pretty good and still be in good enough shape to use when thawed out? What do you think? :angry:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck with em, if you cured em enough they dont need to be put in the freezer. I just throw mine in a throw away tupperware type container and put em in the fridge. They will last forever in there.

Good luck with em.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    And if you cured them enough, they shouldn't be the least bit sticky. Don't forget, you can't use too much salt....more is better, and use NON-iodized.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I cured some livers last May. They stayed in the boat over the winter, and am still using them even today. Had a whole bunch of them and am now down to one tub. Cured more this year for Keystone...gonna be liver poor for quite a while. lOL

5. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    i have some curing in garlic and salt right now but is there something that works a lot better than just the garlic??? just wondering cause it doesnt do as good as regular liver around here :cool2: just wondering

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used anise instead of garlic; they seemed to work equally well for me. I've wondered about, but never tried, substituting cheese powder used for making cheese sauce. You could also use shrimp flavoring from Ramen noodles, but somehow that doesn't sound right. Never know till you try, though.

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa

Would pickling salt work?

8. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Not sure what is in it.

You have to make sure to use Non-Iodized salt as it works alot better. I am guessing it is the iodine in the salt.

9. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    hey ftrew, why only non-iodized? have you tried regulart table salt, or is there a specific reason? i was curious..

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Read post above, it has iodine in it and it just seems to turn the cats off. They must not like it.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive tried curing livers with iodized salt once, by accident. At first I didnt notice until I went fishing and kept getting skunked, not even a bite. I read a couple posts on the site and noticed the warning of dont use iodized salt. I went to check what was in the cabinet and sure enough, iodized salt. I tried it one last time and still nothing. The next day I made a fresh batch and I started catching fish again. It has to be the iodine, the cats, bluegill and bass dont like it, imho.

12. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just got threw curing both beef and chicken liver with salt and garlic.May have got them too dry as cured the beef 4 days in the sun and chicken livers 3 days.Would pick them up in the evening before dew fell and put them back in the container with the salt- garlic and put them out next morning.The beef liver seemed to cure out better and tougher than the chicken.I have them in zip-locks in the basement to see if they will keep without refrigeration or freezing.
    Jake

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yup, it's got to be the iodine in iodized salt that turns off the cats. Several people have reported the same results as derbycitycatman. I don't recall a single person ever posting that they had good results with iodized salt. Salt is cheap enough that I wouldn't take a chance on pickling salt. I can buy 3 boxes at Wal-Mart for a buck; and I can buy a 50# bag at my local feed store for under $5.00. The salt from the feed store is a little coarser grained than the table salt. I bought a bag of it so put on some skipjack fillets this spring, extracting some oil from the skippies.

14. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    So how exactly do I go about curing livers?

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jake, I wouldn't worry about getting them too hard. I used to be concerned about that till I saw how Badkarma does his. They'll rattle like poker chips. And fishing side by side, we both seem to do about as well with our livers.

Hobo, here's a link. It talks about using garlic salt, which certainly works, but buying the sale & garlic powder separately is a lot cheaper, and does just as well.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38820