Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax??

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by jlcclh, Mar 29, 2007.

1. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
  2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Just engines??
    i prefer Cummins
    total effect of vehicle Duramax
    the GM truck is much more comfortable, quiet, and better thought out to me

3. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You can reply with your perference of engine or overall truck.:smile2:

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Ford trucks & the Powerstrokes for me, as long as it ISN'T a 6.0 Litre:eek:oooh:

5. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    My 06 3500 dually Dodge w/ a cummins will pull just about anything. And it gets pretty good fuel milage too.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  7. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Cummins- 296,000 miles and going strong, last tank was 22.3 MPG
    Granted the cab is not as nice as the others but the motor is better over the long haul, I plan on running at least 500,000 miles on this one.

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well, let me put it this way. An inline engine produces more torque at lower rpm's than a "V" as a byproduct of its design, as the "V's" are more suited for higher h.p. and rpm's. As for a diesel the inline motor fits the application the best. Torque is what you feel in the seat of your pants when you crowd on it a little, what lugs you through the tuff stuff, and pulls that overloaded trailer from a dead stop going up hill. H.P. pretty much relates to speed. Cummins wins my vote. Just so happens it comes in my favorite truck too.:cool2:

9. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    My truck is a 1999 Superduty F250 Powerstroke with 301,000 miles. Zero problems with the engine, I've changed the automatic transmission last month. Other than that, just batteries, belt, hoses... Myself I'm a ford man. I'd definately stay away from the duramax (In my opinion) as I have heard horror stories from truckers who haul for a living.

As a wise man once told me.....

why Ram it??? When you can POWERSTROKE IT!!!!!!!

10. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I'm a FORD guy hands down. So that is an easy one. My buddy has a new 08 I think it is and it is the quietest I have ever heard. Not to mention the King Ranch package is the sharpest I have seen in truck.

Dave

11. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I have always driven Fords until now.
    The Cummins in a Ford body would be the best of both worlds.
    I hear the new Duramax's are pretty good.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    7.3 liter POWERSTROKE here

13. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    chevy all the way had a dodge thing ws a money pit ford would have to be second

14. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    that thing may looks sharp, but ask the dealer if u can put a grill guard on it.
    ok, i'll just tell ya'll. the answer is NO. The truck has cooling problems because of the massive radiator stack ( radiator, intercoolerS, tranny cooler ect) Any restriction in airflow outside of that, including the simplest grill guard, will cause the truck to overheat.

15. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    And you forgot to mention the $53K price tag.

They just came out a month of so ago. At the risk of sounding like a butthead. But just how do you know they have such bad cooling prob's? I have heard of none and I am a member of a couple ford clubs and have not seen anyone discuss that issue.

Dave

16. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    local rancher in my home town had one ordered for him. He liked the idea of twin turbo. He gets 12mpg and has to worry about deer ( big problem in that part of texas) since he doesnt have grill guard. The dealer told him that if he put one on that it WOULD overheat. Also said that if it had grill guard and overheated it would not be covered in the warranty.

17. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think you can't beat the 7.3 power stroke for a work engine or the cummins for oil leaks. I pull a lot of loads in the 28 to 30 thousand pounds gross weight and I've tried the others along with some of my friends and when pulling that kind of weight the other engines can't even compare with the 7.3 but what most of you probably don't know is that cummins is owned by Ford which I read somewhere that in the near future, all three makes of trucks will be equiped with cummins engines and that will be a down right shame because I love the sound of a diesel engine. To me those cummins sound like a giant vaccumn cleaner going down the road or like a gas job and I'm not saying this to offend anyone so don't take it that way, I have friends that drive different makes of trucks due to what is called brand loyality because there friends or family drive that make.

18. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I don't know about the newer 6.0 engines but I have a 7.3 with a radiator, oil cooler, transmission cooler, oversized intercooler and a full bumper guard that under heavy load only runs about a quarter way up on the tempature guage. I pull some really heavy loads is why I have gauges for boost pressure, exhaust gas temp at the turbo and transmission oil tempature due it being an automatic and they all run in the normal range and I've not heard of a tempature problem with anything except a cummins when it gets around 220 degrees, you have to back out of it and thats always been a problem with cummins even with the big trucks, you have to drive them by the temp gauge.

19. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    James,

I thank you for your response. But this has been on my mind all day long. I called my buddy who has the 08 F-250 King Ranch package and his reply was that it was not true. Not only does he have a cattle (brush) guard but the dealer installed it. I also looked up some tech data on the truck and read as many reviews as I could find on the new 08's. There was no reference of any cooling issues. I did find one issue that is quite comical...... Fire shooting from the tail pipe...... gosh darn... I want this truck now!!!

I just don't understand how a couple pieces of steel tube could possibly cause air flow to be reduced to the amount that it would cause a problem. After all you have a fan that sucks air through the shroud and the radiator. The fan alone creates enough air flow to cool a hot engine while the truck is parked. I could possibly, although unlikely see it being a problem if it was a single core radiator. But Ford (or any other maker that I am aware of) hasn't ever used a single core radiator to cool a diesel motor. In fact Ford's 7.3 liter is cooled by a 4X core radiator.

I do not doubt that is what the dealer told your friend. But I can say I have seen the same truck with a factory installed guard (with a very sweet Warn winch) on it. I can't say which dealer is misinformed but certainly one of them is.

Back to the subject...... I prefer the Powerstoke over the others but I really like the Allison transmission. If only there was some way to mount Fords motor with Chevy's transmission. Now that would be a great truck in my eye's.

Dave

20. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'm voting for the duramax. I have an 05 GMC and it pulls awesome and is very comfortable. The 7.3 stroke is a great motor, and I'm not gonna bad mouth it, but ford can have the 6.0's. I do love the looks of the Super duty's. I've been born and raised driving Chevrolet's and until they do something terribly stupid, i'm gonna stick with 'em. I just love the comfort of my chevrolet. As far as dodge goes. good motor in a mexican made truck!