Cumberland River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Dec 14, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Are there any guys/gals that fish the Cumbreland for trout/walleye or stripes? I would like to go down there in the spring for a day or 2 in my boat but I am not sure if I can get my boat in the river and float down then run back up with the outboard...? Just need some advice and info

thanks
    Bill

2. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    http://www............/reports/ky/trout/trout-report.htm

Just looked at this, river is up and really rolling. Right down current will be 8+ mph. I can catch trout in this kind of water but not many sauger or walleye.I am talking Wolf Creek dam down to Cordell Hall. Love it down there if river shapes up I will be down for eyes and sauger.Need generator
    off and river at about 12 feet.

3. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    looks like my link got filtered or something i sent you PM

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    There is a tackle shop I think in Burksville you could call on river conditions . If the name comes to mind I will pm it to you . It's down river from Wolf Creek dam . I guess it might depend on how big your boat is too !:wink: Anyhow good luck !

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    got a 19 ft flat bottom with a 70 horse on back..I can get pretty shallow with it but she dont like rocks to well...:eek:oooh:

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lotta rock

7. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bill,

I had a friend go down their in last July and they Kayak'd. I asked him the same question, as I wanted to do the same. He said it was definitely boatable. He said there were more boat's doing that than anything else when he was there. He did say there were some shallower areas you would need to watch for, but said it was definitly boatable.:wink:

8. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Hope you found the link, it has strange bait and tackle rpt on right and links to corp of eng. down left side of page. This is critical info for your boat pic 1 is 540cu.ft/sec 1 gate open no gen. pic 2 maybe 10000 ft/sec.right know flow is 20000. At 540 you are going to break something.Will even run out of ramp at Kendall before you reach the water.That little dot at right of pic 1 is a fisherman that waded out.No one going to be out there on pic 2. for ref dam is 258ft high.

Attached Files:

• 123.jpg
      123.jpg
      File size:
      22.3 KB
      Views:
    • 272.jpg
      272.jpg
      File size:
      27 KB
      Views:
  9. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY

Thanks TBird! Those pictures are awesome...that is some serious water flow!!!!!:crazy: I will def try to time my visit with the outflow on the dam. I have been to the river once and I can still remember what a neat experience it was, can't wait to make the trip again (maybe this time I will catch something...)

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I was down at burksville last tuesday and the rivers rolling pretty good they had the ramp closed.I never have fished that area but like you I plan on hitting it up..