Cumberland River. Tennessee**

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by canepole, Aug 21, 2005.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I was wondering if anybody was doing any good Catching biguns its been awhile since I got a good heavy cat, and I sure am looking forward to winter fishing on the cumberland when the blues school, I was out yesterday morning and the river was just barely moving, and I know that normaly in the winter we have no problem with current.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tom,
    as soon as the weather cools down you can be sure we will be down there. We have some unfinished business to settle with those Cumberland Cats...W

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Tom you should be able to catch them now. Just look for the deepest holes and the fish are there.
    How deep is the deep water there? Also look for deep water and a straight drop off into it. And the fish are there. That is what we have to look for here. And current. Drift through them slow and hold on.

Looking forward to camping there and fishing this fall
    Pete

4. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Pete, Thats how I have been fishing, except I don't drift, I sit up and fish for thirty minutes or so and move. With the high cost of gas, I have been fishing close to the house,This coming weekend I have a couple friends coming up to fish with me and we are going to go to a area that I have had good luck in, and I'm hoping to catch a bunch of eaters. I'm looking forward to fishing with you this fall.

5. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Winston,I am looking forward to fishing with you here and up there on the Ohio, it seems like everytime I get out on the river the water isn't moving, Saturday morning the river was moving so slow that the wind was moving my boat around, and shoot the wind was just barely moving.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Tom that is why I like to drift fish. I can over the whole run. and if the fish are in the deep hole. I have better luck catching them.
    I also look forward to getting to fish with you.
    Pete

7. skip_jack

skip_jack New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    Tom, I've had problems posting messages on here, but will keep trying. I hope you still have some time available for that fishing trip. I should have time the 1st thru the 4th of September. If you still want to get together and have a night open just drop me a line here or send a P.M. I have a ton of things I'm trying to finish up before I leave but I'm sure i can squeeze another night on the water in somewhere. :rolleyes:

8. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Jason,If You don't mind the rain we can go out this weekend and fish, The people that I was supposed to fish with backed out and I will be outta town next w/end so give me a call, I will copy and paste this on a PM for you, My phone number is 931-221-0306.

9. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Pete, I want to do some of that drift fishing with you one of these day's, i know of a few good places to drift,

10. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I am going to make a prediction that fishing for big uns on the cumberland river is fixen to get real good, As the water starts cooling and the biguns try to fatten up for the cold month's

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Tom I hope your right, ? As it looks like we may be there camping for 2 1/2 weeks next month. so I may spend a lot of time out on the water. :p
    And try to get a few good fish while we are there.
    Camping and fishing until I can't stand it Sounds good to me. :D
    Hitting the river here in the morning. Not going for big fish. But looking for 40 or 50 eaters.
    Pete

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    canepole i was wondering if tenn catmen have all got lockjaw

13. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    My son went Saturday and didn't do any good. They went down by the Steam Plant. He said they had one big one on but it went under something, got hung up and broke off.

I went crappie fishing Wednesday and caught 10 good ones in a couple of hours. I went back Friday after the front moved through and didn't catch but one.

14. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    I went this last thursday to Camden landing on Kentucky lake and got skunked so bad that the skunk didn't even show up.

What a cruddy day that was. Maybe it'll be better this coming saturday...

15. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    i wished i lived closer to you great guys so i could go fishin with ya'all :)......this upcoming spring ...if the lord willing and i am still able ....i wanna take my son and fish on the cumberland river for a weekend.....can anyone direct me to some good fishing sections of the river ? with possibly some campground or camping sites nearby ....we will mostlikey be hauling our lil 14' aluminum v hull with us ...i was thinking around late april to early may for a good time to hit the river ? sound bout right ?.....i also been wanting to take him for a fishin trip on the mississippi river :).....i never been there myself
    ....just wanna do some cool things with my son while i can ......i cant wait till he gets outta the army and back home .....hopefully he will be home by nov 17th of this year :).....besides,i could use his help around the house :) ...lol.... i can't gouge on it and run wide open like i use to ....but im a still tryin .......lol

16. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Boogie, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. When you're ready to come here, just make a post or send me a PM with your email address. I'll tell you about a bunch of great spots if there's current in the river. One is downstream of the steamplant just past the rock cliffs. There is a creek mouth there and just past that there is a 55 Gal Drum up on top of the riprap. All along that bank there is a ton of structure and some nice fish have been taken there, including my personal best which is a 47 lb Blue. There is another spot down river a bit just past the 96.5 mile red daymarker. About a hundred yards down from that sign is some great structure and a nice trough to fish in. Some biguns been pulled out of there too. Some of the guides here think they own those particular spots though, so you know they're good. Anyway, just give me a holler and I'll fill you in on a bunch of decent and consistent places.

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    With the winter months coming on, I was thinking about how much fun we have here on the Cumberland River in the winter and thought I'd offer some help to anyone considering a trip here. If you are coming to fish our river just give me a PM. Though I probably won't be able to fish with you, I'd be happy to tell you some of the places to stay and some good spots on the river to get skipjacks. I'll also try to tell you some of the spots I like to fish here on the river. I'm no guide, but I think we have a great resource here and love to share it. We have an abundance of big blue cats here that love to bite during the winter months. I always catch and release anything bigger than 10 lbs and hope you will too. This river is fun and easy to fish by yourself. If you hire a guide, you're wasting your money. They normally have a GPS full of my fishing spots anyway!! LOL And my advice is free, though by no means guarenteed! LOL If you can read a depth finder and know what good structure looks like, you can catch these fish. Of course many factors affect how catfish bite, so there are no promises of catches here. LOL I will just try to help you find bait and some of the good spots that will give you a good chance. Just send me a PM if you want any info.

18. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    hey thanks :) i'll take ya up on that offer as soon as my son gets home ,just not too sure right now when that might be ....i may just have to go on a fishing trip without him .....lol....dropping the old gmc off monday to have some front end work done ...then tires shocks and brakes later ......so that way i can feel better about running around with the boat behind it :).... this will be my first winter fishing for the blues ...ive always fished the warm summer months and held up in my wood workin shop in the winter time ....lol....i dont have any craft or furniture,or cabinet contracts going on this year ,so i can fish,fish,fish......lol...besides ..i cant handle 2 jobs anymore ...lol....fixing forklifts all day is bout all i can stand anymore ,and that is running into the nights too...lol.....are the deeper holes the place to hunt for the blues schooled up in ?.......would you lean more towards main channels and current or mouths of coves where deep pockets are at and less current?