Cumberland river levels

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by cumberlandcat, Dec 13, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I talked to a gentleman from the army corps thats works old hickory dam he said they aren't going to generate for a long time. He said wolf creek dam is still holding us up I just figured that with all this rain they would be generating but not so, not for a long time. They are planning to just open the spill ways just enough to get by for a while. Kinda disapointing. I am missing the skips running and the bass but I guess were gonna have to wait.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If the OLd Hickory Dam isn't producing ...the Gallatin steamplant surely will ! You can catch skippies there and most other species.

3. smokeysmurf22

smokeysmurf22 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    does anyone know what the current is like? im thinking about getting the baot out and maybe going towards clarkasville with it, but im wondering if theres enough current to keep the boat straight.

4. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakeinfo?DataType=nos&site=CEH&submit=View+info

Here's a link where you can check out the water flow and condition's. it looks like they are going to have Two generater's running today, till noo so there should be current .

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My cousin put in at Cheatham on Wed. He said water was low as has been all year and when he was launching boat, the trailer dropped off the end of the ramp before the boat would come off trailer. He's been putting in there 3 or 4 times per month for most of the year and said first time that had happened.

6. smokeysmurf22

smokeysmurf22 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thanks for the input and the link. i'll start checkin it when i make fishing plans. i knew it was low. maybe that'll help push em together.

7. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    just got back from the cumberland river today the water is murky in color and was on a slow rise . caught a few skipjack early and then fished 1/2 day caught a few fish the largest prolly 20lbs .went backto the steam plant to catch some skipjack before haeding home . fished for two hour non stop 1-2-or thee fish every cast. ended up with 400 skip jack for the freezer, cold windy day. but well worth the trip. by the way , any body know anything about that new breed of gar runnin all up in there? almost as thick as the skip jack. they are light green but kinda silver about a foot long ,skin like a catfish ,no scales. i heard some people calling them needle fish!!!!

8. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    the game and fish were in there shocking them last week and they said they were needle fish they looked like little gar.

9. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I caught some last year down below Wilson Dam and didn't know what they were either. I googled them and needlefish were what I had guessed as well. Like you said the creek I was in was thick with them and I had thought they were small gar until I landed a couple. I really wanted to take a couple home and put in aquarium because they looked cool. Take a look at link here and you will see they are invasive species called Atlantic Needlefish but TVA Biologist don't think they pose a huge problem but time will tell I guess. Anyway some decent info on the page.
    http://www.nalms.org/Publications/NALMSNotes/notes06-01.html

10. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    TANKS FOR THE INFO ON THOSE NEEDLE FISH ROGER

11. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I saw a few needle fish when I was there last week too, I caught the same thing in the ocean a couple of months ago in saltwater the exact thing I wanna know what there are pumpin thru the steam plant. Something in the water to allow those things to exist in there, EAT UP BOYS