Cumberland River East of Lebanon

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by TN-CATFISHER, Jan 14, 2008.

1. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Does anyone out there fish the Cumberland River east of Lebanon? I'd be interested to know if anyone has any luck with cats or skipjack out that way. Gallatin and Ashland/Cumberland city are just a bit out of my driving radius.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jon, I have fished up that way some, has been awhile though. Have caught a few fish, never any numbers or big fish. Water is a good bit cooler there than down stream. The area has some nice structure and places that look good, but have never produced for me. Gallitin steam plant is probably your best bet for skipjacks in this area.

3. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    good question ole buddy my biggest is about 39lbs put in at Rome go up river to the bluffs about a half amile past the powerlines there is an eddy about 53ft deep on the leftat the beginnig of the bluff. real good flat head and sauger hole to.:wink:

4. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Don, have you pulled any blues out of this area. Also, I can't find any indication of a boat ramp in this area using the maps I have. Where exactly is it? Thanks.

5. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i live in lebanon and i to would like to know if there are blues in my area lock 5 the sunken lock is right behind my house i can walk to it i was told u wont catch blues past the 231 bridge going to carthage and that sucks caue i would like to catch one here in my waters that are 5 min away the rome ramp is under rome bridge on carthage highway its a bridge with the green railings going over it

6. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Well, I doubt blues don't exist above the 231 bridge from a few reports I've heard, including Don's, but maybe there's just a lack of suitable habitat and they're confined to a few hot spots. That's what I'm trying to figure out :wink: I'm going to check out that Rome stretch of river at some point here and report back. It looks like I'll have to make a trip up to galatin for skips though. Any suggested areas to try for blues while I'm up there? Thanks.

7. Dropoff

Dropoff New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also live in lebanon i have put in at rome one time looks like a good spot but we only got one bite all day there was not much current that day me and my buddy master cat are trying to find out were the blues are in this ares also we have heard they are around the gallatin steam plant area all we had luck on is drum good luck on your search

8. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Cumberlandcat has been doing pretty good with cats up to 20 lbs or so out of old hickory lately. Maybe ya'll should try there? I don't remember exactly what part of the lake he's fishing but he's posted some reports lately under the lakes section I think.

9. smokeysmurf22

smokeysmurf22 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i've fished the lebanon area of the cumberland before with not much good luck. the problem is its more like a lake in the fact that there isnt enough current from what i could tell. it seems like as it gets colder outside the fish move more downstream and away from the dams because the rivers generally are deeper downstream towards the "lake" then they are right below the dam. the key to fishing this area of the river i believe would be to fish anchored down in an area where there was atleast a moderate amount of current. especially if there is visible structure like a logjam or a tree fell off in the water. the fish will rpobably be on the deeper side towards the channel. if you can find a stump or something like that right on the edge of the river channel and some current there should be a fish there. you may have better luck in the early part or the later part of the day depending on when the fish are typically feeding in that stretch of river. another thing i would consider is using cut bream or bluegill for bait. this section of the river is full of bream and bluegill that the flatheads and other large fish feed on probably more than the skipjacks in that area. i hope this helps and isnt too confusing.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    At this time of year if you are looking for the big ones...you are going to have to find the deep holes. I fish right in the deep parts of the river channel. Whether your looking for big blues or channels or stripers. You will find them in the deepest holes in the river. Close to bait and out of the current somewhat. They spend too much energy at this time of year trying to fight the current. So they might be in water that is deeper and a little less current than the norm. Let us know how it goes.:big_smile:

11. Dropoff

Dropoff New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats the probablem with the lebanon area no current every time we go out there just does not seem to be any current the fish are there just geting them to bite is the problem?

12. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Well I've always heard that current is key on the blues. I'm guessing this means finding some narrow stretches of river where there's more depth and current, or some deep outside bends. I'm just having a problem locating these kinds of places. I guess I just have to put in some more time scouting. I'm anxious to try the place gatortail was talking about that gets down to 53' deep.