Cumberland river 21 Jan

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Jan 22, 2008.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I had the opportunity to BANK fish the Cumberland around the Clarksville area yesterday and had pretty good success. I only fished for about an hour and half, but the fish kept me fairly busy. I managed to catch one blue weighing 5 lbs 10 oz.. Turns out that was the only fish I caught, but I tell you they are biting pretty good. The one thing that I learned yesterday is that the fish are only LIGHTLY biting on your bait and that the small bites may still be big fish. Once this had occured to me, I waited until a fish had shown some interest and then began to work my baits by VERY slowly moving the baits towards my position, the bites tended to become more aggressive. The result was the one fish that I caught. Additionally I had three good, aggressive runs once I implemented this technique, but of course they "resulted in the ones that got away". Water was at normal levels, clear; not sure of the temperature. I am told the area I was fishing is around 25 feet deep. Bait was cut skipjack.

2. Drum

Drum New Member

State:
    McEwen, TN
    Hey, that sounds better than no fish at all. I almost went to TVA in Cumberland City yesterday and could never break away. Sounds like it was fun...

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Sounds like fun, where were you fishing? I'm from clarksville and pretty familiar with the area.

4. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Congrats on the blue. Beats a good day at work :wink:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Mark, I was fishing at the point where the red river meets with the cumberland river.

6. smokeysmurf22

smokeysmurf22 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    anybody know what the water temp. on the cumberland is?

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It depends a lot up by nashville it is 48 but a few miles up from there it was 57 two days ago.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish the cumberland river channel in the Lake Barkley region. The water temp here is at 41 degrees right now with Kentucky lake at 45 degrees.