Cumberland River 17-18 Dec - 31 Pound Blue Catfish!

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Dec 18, 2008.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Just wanted to post an update for the Cumberland river, vicinity of Cumberland city. Over the past two days I have caught several nice fish to include my new personal best!!

Since my return to the water, I have been struggling to catch anything, let alone a good fish. That all changed the last couple of days. Today I caught a real nice 31 pound blue about a mile or so down the river from the steamplant. I was just tooling along in the boat trying to learn about the water and my electronics, when I stumbled across a mess of fish sitting on the shelf near the drop off. I quickly anchored in and had him within 20 minutes. I only caught 1 other small cat today, but at that point it really didn't matter. The fish where sitting in about 18 feet of water and it dropped to about 38 feet just a few yards away from where I caught him. There was some small structure, but I really don't know why they where hanging out in this location.

Yesterday, I caught a nice 10 pounder, a 5, and a 3. I was pretty happy about that. I caught them along the rocks at the point where the island (across from steamplant) ends. Also anchored up here.

I got pics on my cell phone, but have to find a transfer cord to get them on the computer. I will send you one once I get it figured out.

Water was between 46 and 58 degrees (depending on distance from steamplant). All fish were caught in about 18-23 feet of water on cut skipjack. One interesting point is that I only got bites on traditional Carolina rigs that had 20-30 inch leader and small floats attached just above the hooks!

Good luck to everyone fishing and I hope to have some photos soon.

2. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the report. I'm planning to go Monday, but will be fishing the area between Clarksville and Cheatham Dam. Boats been in the shop and should get it back this weekend.

3. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Thats awesome Shane! Congrats on your personal best! I was out by Old Hickory Lake dam again today and caught my first skipjack. I proceeded to catch about 30 in two hours of fishing. Man, they're fun to catch on light tackle!! Its like they're mini-tarpon or something. You gonna be in Ohio all next week?

4. vaccouple

vaccouple New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Thats great and congrats. on personal best Shane. And hope to see u out there some day.

Orrin

5. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    yep I will be in Ohio all next week for the holidays. I know what you mean about the skips, sometimes I just get caught up in catching them that I forget to go catfishing!!

6. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Shane were you anchored across there this afternoon in a blue and white boat?I was in the steamplant and thoughy that might have been you.

7. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yep that was me!, wind and trash in river were kicking my butt!

8. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    LOL....Yea I was dealing with the trash and crap on the Ohio today, really sucks. Congrats on your new PB though.

9. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    my family and i will be moveing to dover in july, will have to get together and do some fishing. congrats on fish

10. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

I would love to go fishing with you brother, but I will be moving to Georgia this month. I can tell you that you are moving to an area with great catfishing and the potential to catch your personal best everytime you hit the water. Good luck!!

11. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    sowhatur saying brother is i aint gonna get to fish with ya because ur movin well that stinks.lol

12. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Have not seen you on here much. I should get some fishing in next week or maybe even this weekend. Still trying to figure out my schedule

13. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri

Congratulations Shane on your new PB!!!

14. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    It was BAD muddy and LOTS of trash yesterday.It didn't take long for me to get all I wanted.Good news is we now have plenty current.:big_smile:

15. FirefighterBull

FirefighterBull New Member

State:
    Charlotte Tennessee
    hey man congrats on the pb dont know which service u use for cell phone but the ones i got were on my cell phone you can send a picture message from your phone to your e-mail and it will put them on your computer just save them from the e-mail. just type in your email address into where the phone number goes. hope it helps man hope to see ya down at the cc one day

16. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Shane congrats on your new PB! It was great meeting you at the steam plant on Wednesday night. Thank you for the skipjack! We ended up just leaving that rotten stuff sit in the cooler all weekend. Neither one of us was brave enough to open the lid again to try it.:smile2: If you ever want to come up this way just let me know. I will take you out there or me you and Swamp can head out and try for some fish.

17. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    no problem brother! I was glad to help and enjoyed the chat.

18. 10uhcplz

10uhcplz New Member

State:
    Jackson Tenness
    Glad to hear about the big one Shane!!!!! Kinda makes your heart beat a little harder when you got one of them on don't it?