Cumberland Lake

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by beaneye46, Feb 8, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    does anyone fish cumberland lake?

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've camped several times below the dam and it's beautiful there. Lake is huge and looks very deep. Never fished it though, but I'd bet it's got some big cats in it.

3. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i fished it once with a striper guide my dads friends with. we were set up like cat fishing because the trolling wasnt working. we caught a couple 10# stripers and a couple 5# channels. but what was amazing was the smallmouth we caught. ive never seen smallmouth so big. one was probably ten pounds. i was in awe, they were real deep so they were real dark. there was 100 foot holes + they let the water out of the damn, so it was down another 20 feet. it was pretty amazing.

4. slhamm

slhamm New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I live here on the lake, its a beautiful place. Its a great place for big striper! Its a huge, deep lake with very little structure. Ive caught several good channels up in the tributaries, but am still looking for the right spot for that monster. :cool:

5. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I live on the lake also and I suspect they're are some very big cats in the lake. My Grandfather was a commercial fisherman on lake cumberland throughout the 70's and I can remember him catching some 25, 30 pounders. I have fished the lake all of my life but I just got serious on the cats last year.

6. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Shannon, what area do you live at on Lake Cumberland? I am in Somerset and would love to find another fellow catfisherman to wet a hook with.

7. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    I fish both Cumberland and Laurel. On Cumberland, we spend a week camping out at Cumberland Point every year in July when the cats start coming off the nest. That's when I live for the battle day and night as hard as I can push it. That's my vacation, that's what I do for fun, to catch as much as I can. I jug and set lines. Ended up with 41 cats for the week last year with a total weight of 191 lbs. even though I lost a night because of tornado warnings. My biggest is 32 lb 5 oz so far. I've heard the tales of the 50 and 60 pounders but I haven't gotten one yet.

As for Laurel, I've gotten two 30 pounders out of there and a 24 and a 26 pounder on jugs. Would like to talk to brothers who fish these lakes and can point me in the right direction on when and how to get the big ones.

8. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Like I said I've been fishin' Lake Cumberland all of my life but I just started seriously targeting the Cats Last year. Last Year I fished up what they call fishing creek above Lee's Ford Boat Dock and caught probably thirty or fourty cats with the biggest being around 10 pounds. I was fishin' a couple days a week. You should consider coming up that way sometime there is a camping area at Pulaski County Park which is within a mile of the headwaters. I have a friend that is fishing right now with trot lines and he said everything is between 8 and 15 Pounds so I guess I will be going tomorrow and give it a try during the daylight hours.

9. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    I know Fishing Creek well. I used to go all the way up in the headwaters of it to catch white bass. My best areas on the Conley Bottom part of the lake are up in Faubush and up in the head of White Oak. Eight pound channels in the lake are a common thing, and the 12 to 15 pound flatheads aren't too hard to do either.

10. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Leaving Thursday am to met some friends @ Summerset Boat Club. HFR Hundley has a 80' house boat in the club. We are going after Stripers during the day & I'll be fishing for cats @ night. Hope to post some picks next week.

11. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It would be nice if you can locate some fish and share the location with some local kentuk boys. I went out today and fished my brains out and never caught a fish. But I had a good time anyway the weather was nice.

Hope ya catch some.

12. bent_pole

bent_pole New Member

State:
    harrodsburg, kentucky
    CATSTALKER... I am new not only here, but to the area also. I would love to begin fishing Lake Cumberland as it is only an hour to Somerset. Maybe you would allow me to tag along some time...:) give me a shout

13. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That sounds great I haven't had a lot of luck recently I believe it is because the water level. But in the spring when the water level rises I know some decent spots that I am going to hit and maybe do some camping as well. If you can pm me your number I will try to give you a call. what area do you live in?

14. bent_pole

bent_pole New Member

State:
    harrodsburg, kentucky
    Seems i dont have the required number of posts to PM you. I will soon though...thery cant keep a good man down...LOL