Cumberland city

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by cumberlandcat, Oct 26, 2006.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone been fishing cumberland city lately. I haven't been in a month or so but my dad and brother came into town this weekend and they have never been out for the bigguns so if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. I want them to a least boat or get to see a nice fish this weekend. All they ever get to see is pics.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is your lucky day Brother!!!

There is going to be a bunch of members meeting at the Cumberland City Boatramp 7:00am saturday morning to fish the Cumberland River. You will be more than welcome to join them I am sure.

3. paidin

paidin New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Ive been hitting the cumberland city steamplant this past week. Large skipjack can be caught on rigs consisting on 4 twisty tail jigs tied together. Just cast across the steam plant, let it sink, then reel it back at a fast rate.

You can also go to "the bait and tackle shop" on riverside and main street in carksville and pick you up a sabiki rig. They are killer for skipjack. I will probably be out at the steam plant saturday to stock up on skipjack for my fishing outing sunday. If I get enough, I'll give you some.

As far as catching the big'uns, go look for deep holes with your depth finder that are on the outside of bends and in an area with large boulders on the shore. Anchor down and stick some cut up skip jack on 6/0-8/0 circle hooks. Then sit back and relax and let the cats do all the work.

Really, I'm still a catfish noob but this tactic is what I got from fishing with an experienced catfisherman and from reading his book ;)

paidin

4. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    thanks for sharing the info ... now just rub some big cat luck on this thread so i can go out and find me a bign :big_smile: ohh yeah and tell don at the bait shop sinker man said hello

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fished on the Cumberland Sat. and the wind was tough and the cats were Tougher! Nice to meet a few folks!:smile2:

6. paidin

paidin New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    hmm.. they are crappie jigs. I think they are smaller than size 6 but I better make sure. This is the usual setup that I see people use for skipjack. Anyways, I stocked up on sabiki rigs so I should be ok now :)

Thanks for the heads up though.

paidin

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wow as much as I have seen people fishing with these rigs along with myself I am very surprised but I am glad to know this thanks

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They are different than the umbrella rigs used by striper fisherman weve never been cited & everyone uses them.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Make sure you call and ask your TWRA officer. I sent an email and was told the sabiki rigs we all use are not considered umbrella rigs. But because it's such a vague description and some people think they can read between the lines, it's best to call or email and find out.

10. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Just to be safe I got the sabikis with smaller hooks.